Author Topic: First Osage bow-saved by sinew wrap:)  (Read 5848 times)

Offline boo

Re: First Osage bow-saved by sinew wrap:)
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 12:27:39 pm »
Glad to see she made it Rand. Looks great. I left the tips on my first bow a little thick also, I have went to narrow them down numerous times but cant bring myself to do it. She shoots to good and i like a little thump sometimes. Congrats on a fine bow, they will just get better from now on. boo
Boo

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 09:15:30 pm »
Hi again,

Thanks for the thoughts on the bow.  Bobby, I was telling Pat that she thumps a target so hard with an arrow that if I had a big ten pointer and his doe standing side by side Thumper would blast an arrow through the buck and then right on through the doe too!!!!   Since I have managed to blow up so many bows before this one I might work on learning to shape the tips on the osage stave I am pulling now...try to learn something before messing this one up.

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 09:34:02 pm »
Really nice tiller, but waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy to wide tips!
See, the bow needs a LOT of energy to move those tips, that energy is lost for acceleration of the arrow, and that energy is what shakes you quite badly!
The handshock affects your nervous system, did you know???

Ps: Saw Filer, these tips look great! ...probably still wide enough for a 70 pounder!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 09:34:31 pm »
Hey Medicinewheel,

Actually the hand shock is really not bad at all...but she does make a "thwhump" and then the string sings like a musical instrument.  Shot her about thirty times today to give her a little work out and watch the sinewed cracks...so far so good.  I am talking to my buddy Joel about the wide tips...I sure don't want to screw up this bow!!!!  Get your flute yet?

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 03:25:31 pm »
I read somewhere, might have been one of TBB series, but it said if the string vibrates a lot it's taking away from your cast. As long as the tips aren't thin on the belly, making them thinner, like the rest of the boys said, can only make it shoot better. Sweet looking bow all the same though.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero