Author Topic: Flipping Tip Question  (Read 1638 times)

Innocente

Flipping Tip Question
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:41:38 am »
in the midst of a red oak and a birch build, was hoping to try teapot steam recurving the tips.  i've backed the birch with linen, the red oak is still not backed. 
here's my question: that steam is totally going to ruin my titebond II linen backing, isn't it?  i should have flipped the tips before i backed, right?
should i give up recurving the backed bow, and go ahead and recurve the one i haven't backed yet?
if i were to coat my backing with polyacrylic, would it be safe in the steam bath?

thanks.

Offline woodstick

Re: Flipping Tip Question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:59:46 am »
i belive you are dead on it will weaking you glue from what i have read in the past. iam sure you will get the awnser your looking for today.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:17:46 pm »
No heat at all on TB 1-3. It isn't the steam that will make it fail, it is heat. Recurve the other one.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:42:04 pm »
Howdy Innocente,

Perhaps, you could just tear off the backing, scrape or sand off the glue, and then steam bend your tips.  And then, put on a new backing after steaming.

Or maybe, just remove the backing near the tips, and go for it from there.

Good luck,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Innocente

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 01:46:52 pm »
thanks guys, appreciate the advice. 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 02:38:16 pm »
You certainly can heat the glue joint and remove the backing. You would want to remove the whole backing, bend the tips, then clean it up and reglue it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 07:21:23 pm »
On the other hand I tempered a few bows backed with fabric and even snake skins, the TB glues didn't fail,...you might give it a try at flipping the tips with a gun, even if the fabric comes off you can always reglue it
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII