Author Topic: Stains  (Read 1385 times)

banoch

Stains
« on: November 02, 2009, 08:45:11 am »
I've read a lot using the search function, trying not to make any of you have to repeat this stuff over and over, but I can't find out which type of stain to use under TBlll for applying some snake skins. I saw where Pappy says he uses perm marker. I have some alchohol(aneline) dyes in the form of furniture touch-up markers. So, do you use oil based stains or something else?? Also, I noticed the only one build-along I saw mentioned soaking the skins before appication. Is this common practise or an optional step as well? I'm sure I didn't read every one of them but I think I read enough to get an overview but still have these q's I know ya'll can answer.   

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Stains
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 09:47:33 am »
Short answers:
I like alcohol based leather dye. I think a lot of others do also.
Yes snakeskins have to be soaked until they are soft and plyable before applying.

Long answers:
Read Gordon's Hazelnut bow buildalong, he discusses both of these issues in detail.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.0.html
Search for Rit Dye, and applying snakeskins.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

banoch

Re: Stains
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 10:23:21 am »
Thanks Justin. I read the Hazelnut buildalong which is one of the few places that showed the soaking of the skins. I take it that oil based stains would cause adhesion problems?