Author Topic: osage bow sanders first bow update  (Read 2259 times)

Offline sander

osage bow sanders first bow update
« on: November 02, 2009, 12:45:47 am »
Hey guys you encouraged me to clean up my limbs so I got some streaks of early and late wood
off the limbs as you can see in the new photo.  Also pretty much a full draw pic right now at around
28 inches and 60 pounds.  A third of the way down on the top limb is an up and down waver in the wood not a hinge.  Not finished just wanted any comments on tiller etc. Thinking of the draw weight read in Torges it might lose five pounds from shooting it in. Havent sanded it down a pound or two more?  I was shooting for around 54 pounds do you think I will get there.  Also right now the brace is only five inches will want a wee bit more.  Had a splinter so I glued and wrapped it as someone here recommended, its holding.  Can't scrape the belly in that area because of the wrap
so not sure I should try to lighten it up anymore.  Got some black silk pants at a goodwill type of store for two bucks thinking of backing it with that wondering though if it will add a pound or two
more to the draw weight any experience there.  Thanks all

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dano

Re: osage bow sanders first bow update
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 07:49:17 pm »
Tiller doesn't look too bad. You will loose 3-5 pounds finish sanding depending on your tool marks. Backing with silk won't gain you any weight, just a little back protection. You could temper the belly and gain a few pounds if you need.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 11:00:02 pm »
Nice bow. Well done. 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sander

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:16:03 am »
Thanks guys , from your comments with a bit of sanding I will be close on weight.  Anywhere
50-55 and I will be very happy.  This bow my first has sat around for seven years after its start. I am really looking forward to finishing it up and shooting it.  Wow what a great site you guys have so
much great info and encouragement.  This bow making has definetly moved up my list of interests.
Somebody probably has me beat on longest bow in progress.  Sander :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 09:14:50 am »
Very nice. YOu did a good job. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:28:33 am »
Pretty stiff out of the fades top and bottom. If you need to drop poundage these would be the areas I would remove wood from.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 12:04:28 pm »
Bookmarked your bow under Nov Self Bow of the Month. Give me a heads up if you post another full draw.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline sander

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 08:49:18 pm »
Erik I believe you are right if I come in heavy thats where I will remove from. Old Bow I will post
some pics when its done. Thanks, Sander