Author Topic: Tallahatta Sandstone and Tallahatta Chert  (Read 15708 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Tallahatta Sandstone and Tallahatta Chert
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 11:27:45 pm »
Well, this is the results of my rock run.  I found some huge boulders and could not spall it out with the stone I brought and did not want to start beating on it with a steel slag hammer, so ended up picking up pieces around the 5 or 6 small car size boulders.  Is this about the size you guys start out with or should they be bigger?  The stone I used is in the bottom right corner of the first picture.  It was not much good on this rock.  The coke can is for size reference.  I plan on going again next Tuesday and try to get more, but hope to be better prepared to break the boulder up a little- any advice appreciated.  :) 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 12:57:45 am »
Those chunks and spalls are about the correct size to make medium sized to large points with no problems.  I think that you should work on forming them into preforms  before you start trying to beat the rock into a point.  You will gain experiance in getting flakes to release in the direction and shape you want.  If you have any questions, PM me.  I will be checking this site.  If you want to knapp some more, I will be at Moundville Park on Sat. from 1100 to 1400.  Bill

Offline HoBow

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 06:01:09 am »
Thanks Bill!  I enjoyed meeting you the other day and appreciate the help in learning the basics. My plan was to practice percussion with most of the rock I find. I wasn't real concerned about knocking out points just yet. Thanks again for all the help and material!!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline warhawk

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 08:45:30 am »
they look great to me i wish i was there. have fun knapping and show us some pics of the things you make.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline arappaho

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 10:05:10 pm »
Good job, Jeff!
It would be great to see some pics of the rock in the ground, or in the setting you are
finding it, if at all possible. I don't know for sure what you are looking at as far as collecting
possibilities goes, but my favorite tools for collecting that coastal plains chert is a 16# sledge
and a 6 foot pry bar. ;)
Wear goggles, and any on-lookers should stand back atleast 15-20 feet, also with goggles.
Joe

Offline HoBow

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 10:23:45 pm »
Well, today was an interesting day in my journey to learn knapping!  I decided to go get some more rock and grab some photos so I could get some advice.  While loading up some, one slipped and cut my left finger open.  I decided to go ahead and finish getting what I came for :o  I left and went and got three stitches in my left pointer finger  >:(  I went home to unload the rock and the same thing happened, so I had to go back and get four stitches in my right palm  >:( The doctors got a kick out of the whole situation and my wife took my rocks away  :-\  Maybe knapping is not for everyone  ;D  ???

Here are pictures from both ER visits (within 2 hours of each other) and some of the big boulders.  There is at least 10 back in this area and only a few have been whacked on....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 12:24:04 am »
It might be safer and cheaper to wear gloves.  ;D Nice find and hope they heal quickly
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline arappaho

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 09:36:53 am »
Yep, you might want to add Gloves to that list of tools. ;)
But, when your hands heal up, you know where to get plenty of material!
Thanks for the pics.
Joe

Offline warhawk

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 02:38:13 pm »
At least you found a gold mine of material to use i have to buy most of what i need
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 07:35:52 pm »
i woulda lost half of my little finger on my last rock run if i had not had gloves on.. i was spalling a big piece of flint river and i missed the platform and my finger slid across a sharp edge of rock with the weight of large copper spaller and it sliced through the glove and still cut me..
Mililani Hawaii

Offline HoBow

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 07:48:19 pm »
I never have liked gloves with the exception of hauling hay, but looks like I will have ro adjust  :)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 09:26:44 pm »
Are the stitches out yet?  When they are, call me and we'll try to set up another session.  We should try to get together before it get too cold.  Bill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 09:44:47 pm »
 When it gets too cold, send that rock on a vacation,, to me. ;D  Cool battle scars ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline HoBow

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 10:23:14 pm »
Bill- I will be up there next week again for work, so I will give you a call.  I've taken the stitches out of my left hand because they were hurting.  I was suppose to get them out tomorrow, but I have some stuff to do this weekend, so I'm going to leave the ones in my right hand in until Sunday.  I should be good to go next week.   ;D  ;D Mullet-  I'll send some down your way.  Shoot me a PM with what you are interested in.

I got some dogwood logs today that were seasoned.  Would these be good to try and spall out the boulders?  Do they need to be smooth or could I shape it out with my drawknife and call it quits? Any rough dimensions or pics would be greatly appreciated!!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:28:37 pm by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 11:53:48 pm »
Sheese man, what a find! That is too cool! Sorry about the stiches but looks like your hooked ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.