Author Topic: antler billet?  (Read 2759 times)

Offline comebackshane

antler billet?
« on: November 14, 2009, 09:47:37 am »
Does and antler billet have to be made from the end that attaches to the skull.  I've got several good size pieces that might make a billet but they don't have the solid end that attaches to the skull.  Are they too porous further up the antler?  I'm trying to make the switch to all abo tools and I would appreciate your expertise.

Shane

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: antler billet?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:21:39 am »
Round off the edges and give it a try. The pithy center is too soft, so if you can use the outside edges it should work. I have used other pieces than the end that attached to the skull.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:39:58 pm »
You can also soak the pithy end in superglue and it will help alot.  I have done it to an elk bopper and it is still holding up fine.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:43:36 pm »
Dang Eddie you are a smart feller. I am gonna have to try that. ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline comebackshane

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 10:44:55 pm »
thanks, thats what I needed to know. Good idea with the super glue, never would have thought of that.