Author Topic: Rest in pieces...  (Read 3591 times)

Offline KShip85

Rest in pieces...
« on: October 28, 2009, 07:36:46 pm »
Well, it is with a heavy heart that I lay what I thought would be my first hunting weight bow to rest.  She blew on me last week, nearly too my right eye in the process.  Lesson learned: ERC is a finicky mistress, I've put quite a few arrows through her before she went and when she did go there was not even a tic or creak, just pow and bow limbs flying at my face.  I still really like cedar but believe I will start backing them and maybe try to get more length than the 49 1/2 inches I had here.  Thank you all for your thoughts in this time of loss.

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Rest in pieces...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 07:44:30 pm »
Well at least ya still got some good whittling wood left ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 08:28:10 pm »
purty as that one is , i would have to glue it and hang it on the wall!

rattlesnake

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:05:07 pm »
49.5"...?...way to short....i dont make my selbows below 64" anymore, and like 68" for preformance, 66"is my average....but i draw 29" and like a small ridged handle also...keep trying,, glad you were not hurt...snake

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:11:20 pm »
Sorry about that.I can relate.Mine blew the same way.It was well tillered ,but when it went ,man it went,Kaboom!! :o .I decided to stick to more dependable wood after that. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 09:16:23 pm »
How far did you draw it? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 09:33:40 pm »
 Sorry for your loss :(  But it's not a total loss, I see have a bow there that could make a nice takedown,  Or possibly a very nice walking stick.  ;)

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 09:46:49 pm »
That ERC is a beautiful bow, sorry to see it go. It seems like the favorite bows are the ones that blow, I had a Mulberry bow ( got the wood from the curb, cut down tree) that was starting to darken nicely, and WHAM, the lower limb breaks loose and heads for the target on its own. Damn knot.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 09:46:57 pm »
my thoughts are with ya it has moved on to better place now.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline bcbull

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 10:03:18 pm »
KIP  VERY NICE  BOW I LOVE THAT CEADER  HOW THICKS THE SAP ON THAT ONE ?  NEXT TIME MAKE IT 66 - 68 SAME DESIGN I BET YA GET A SHOOTER   BROCK

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 05:42:25 am »
Been there on ERC and you are right they do break with authority. A little longer would help.What was you pulling that one to ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 11:56:10 am »
Looks like a tension failure to me... did you chase a ring on the back? It sure looks like you did. Awfully short bow. I'd back the next one with rawhide.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 04:18:26 pm »
Aaah, too bad...
Frank from Germany...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 06:08:40 pm »
Sorry it broke on you, but I wouldn't try to make a 49" bow out of osage, much less cedar.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 07:04:03 pm »
Thanks all, I know 49 1/2 might have been pushing it but i was trying to follow a west coast replica in TBB1 that was close to that length.  I had been drawing it 19 inches I believe, at around 40 lbs.  I did not chase a ring, it was just straight from under the bark, and I wanted to see if I could get away without backing it.  Lesson learned...I might try a selfbow again in it some day but for now I will be backing with rawhide or sinew.  I've got some more sitting in the shop, including a piece that is completely clear, although it is all sapwood.  I think I might try a long bow with it as I have read it lends itself well to that design.  As for now, its on to the hackberry I have split and drying to rough out some bows, might look into a short bow of shagbark hickory that I cut last winter.  I'll return to cedar, its just too pretty to pass up, but for awhile I might try some more forgiving woods.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN