Author Topic: tiller check...  (Read 5650 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
tiller check...
« on: October 28, 2009, 01:05:58 pm »
Okay almost finished with this one...   I am pulling 50lbs at 26 in the pic, have around 2 more inches to tiller where should I shave more wood at?  I can tell the tiller isn't even yet, but I can't tell where I need to shave more wood for some reason on this one.  Thanks for looking.   :)  -josh

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:09:09 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tiller check...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 01:09:19 pm »
I'll be happy to look but I need a pic first!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:15:32 pm »
It's looking pretty good to me. Maybe a little just out of the top fade, and slightly on both outter limbs. But really I don't see anything jumping out of me that strongly needs to be addressed. :)  You might also measure and compare each limb at brace to see how those compare to the full draw.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 02:50:54 pm »
Looks real good, Josh. Enjoy shooting it. 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 02:58:49 pm »
Thanks Greg and Pat!!! 

Greg, I still need to narrow the tips down some so I left them a little stiff.  Now that you mention it I DO see where some wood could come off right out of the top fade to about 6" out.  Thank you!  You have a great eye!  :) 

PatB, thanks for the compliment and I WILL enjoy shooting it as soon as I can figure out how to get this hamn dandle to quit creaking!!!   ;D  Jawge suggested to try to dowell the handle and I think that is what I am gonna do to it this weekend...   ;)

Thanks again guys!   ;D  -josh
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:20:01 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 03:06:03 pm »
Okay almost finished with this one...   I am pulling 50lbs at 26 in the pic, have around 2 more inches to tiller where should I shave more wood at?  I can tell the tiller isn't even yet, but I can't tell where I need to shave more wood for some reason on this one.  Thanks for looking.   :)  -josh
I'd say the lower limb is a whisker stiff compare with the top one, but it's pretty damn good...
(I say the lower because the grip seems to be pulling slightly towards you at the lower edge. or it could just be on of them optycal delusions ;))
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 03:11:09 pm »
Josh, I have used hemp cord from Wally World for handle wraps. I started this on a bow("Trouble Maker") that kept loosing the handle, among other things. I set the cord wrap in Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone) and haven't had a problem since.  I think I'd find the creak, add thin super glue to that then wrap it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 03:34:23 pm »
Looks good but if you need 2 inches more I'd get that top  limb moving  a bit more at the fade area. Both limbs lid limb on. Josh, I described the doweling or pinning procedure but don't go through the back. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 03:36:27 pm »
Jawge, what diameter dowels?  My handle area is around 7/8 to 1" wide.  Thanks!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 04:37:09 pm »
that looks good i say go hunt with it.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 05:16:51 pm »
Its looking good.  When I get to that point, and dont want to loose any more draw weight, I simply check the tiller at brace.  If Ive got 1/8 positive, I move on and check at full draw.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 05:03:39 am »
Sure looks good. I would perform the little changes Greg suggests, though!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 05:38:38 am »
Looks good to me,maybe a little on the top fad,What weight are you looking for at 28 ?
It should be around 56 or so now. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

radius

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 09:47:42 am »
might just be optical illusion, but it looks like the upper limb is actually longer.  Is it?

Offline Josh

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 10:00:43 am »
might just be optical illusion, but it looks like the upper limb is actually longer.  Is it?

No Scott it isn't supposed to be...  Maybe it is just the angle of the camera or something... Or maybe because my hand/arm is closer to that limb... It does kinda look shorter now that you mention it though...    :)  -josh
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 10:04:57 am by Josh »