Author Topic: Chicken Feathers?  (Read 10604 times)

Offline Swamp Bow

Chicken Feathers?
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:20:55 pm »
Well I sent a bunch of extra cockerels to Freezer Camp yesterday and it got me to thinking about using chicken primaries as fletchings.  Did a search in the archives and read several post saying "sure" or "should", but no "I dunnit, work great".  So anyone actually use chicken primaries?  I've got a some more blue orpingtons to deal with and I wonder if I should spend the time and energy trying some feathers.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline wolfsire

Re: Chicken Feathers?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:41:03 am »
Send me a pm if ;D you want to send me some to try out for you.   :P
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:13:40 am »
 ;D

Sure, but don't be surprised if the feathers come from another part of the chicken!  >:D

Swamp

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:20:13 am »
lol. i dunno, but let us know if you can, cuz that would be a heck of alot easyer than finding turkey feathers.
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 02:37:45 pm »
Just don't shoot 'em at a bear, the arrows might turn around and come back by you..;D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

coyote pup

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 02:56:38 pm »
My only concern would be the size. As long as you think they're big enough for your arrows, I say go for it. I would try some 2-fletch with them. I am in a trade with Banoch (the guy asking about the grouse feathers). When I get them, that's what I plan to do with them myself -  make up some 2-fletch if it works out for me. I'm still trying to find some shafts that inspire me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 03:05:58 pm »
I've never used chicken feathers but you can do a tangential 3 or 4 feather fletch. This one below is a 3 fletch. These fly as well as any.  These are small feathers from a Canada goose wing.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 03:29:14 pm »
The fletch like Pat showed should work well with chicken feathers. i've used it with guinea feathers and grouse tailfeathers.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:55:04 am »
I would think that chicken feathers would work just fine.  I've made some arrows with the feathers cropped pretty close to the shaft (similar to the height of a chicken feather), making a very low-profile fletch, and they flew great.  When using lower feathers, however, I feel that the arrow must be well matched to your bow to get good flight.  If the spine is off then larger feathers are needed to correct any squirrely flight.  But like I said, I've used small, low-cut feathers and they worked well.  So I say YES!  Use them. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 01:43:58 pm »
The upper arrow is fletched with guinea foul feathers.
The lower arrow is fletched with a combination of pheasant and duck feathers.
All primaries from wings.

All work well but are not very durable.  They will become damaged quickly if you used the arrows for stump shooting and such.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 01:50:10 pm »
Thanks everyone, I'll give it a whirl.  

Pat B, did you tie those in by the tip with the feather coming off of the back of the arrow and then fold them over to tie the off up front?

Jackcrafty,  So do the arrows fletched with Guinea still squawk incessantly?  I won't raise those $#@! again.  I thought peafowl were noisy, I was wrong!  >:(

Swamp

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 10:02:30 am »
Thanks everyone, I'll give it a whirl.  

Pat B, did you tie those in by the tip with the feather coming off of the back of the arrow and then fold them over to tie the off up front?

Jackcrafty,  So do the arrows fletched with Guinea still squawk incessantly?  I won't raise those $#@! again.  I thought peafowl were noisy, I was wrong!  >:(

Swamp

world's greatest watch dogs.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 11:13:24 am »
Mine where like that neighbors car alarm that goes off every five minutes, you just ignore them.  These guys just never shut up, it was just a constant drone.  I finally sold them.  I warned the lady and she said that they would calm right down once they got around her birds.  Told me she had kept lots and lots of them and she knew guineas.  Who was I to argue.  Found out later they drove her nuts too and got rid of them as well.  :D

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 10:29:00 pm »
lol. i hear theyr tasty.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 11:07:45 pm »
Swamp, I have done them like you mentioned but usually I just lay the feather flat and bunch the end up and add a wrap to hold it in place, then lay another feather and add a wrap, etc. After the rear is secured I offset the feathers a few degrees and attach the front end as I did the rear. On the front end you want to make the wrap as smooth as possible and be sure to cover the quill to protect your hand on release.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC