Author Topic: N.C. Rhyolite  (Read 6779 times)

PeteDavis

N.C. Rhyolite
« on: November 01, 2009, 10:17:00 pm »

Who sells this stuff in a decent grade???

PD

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: N.C. Rhyolite
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:23:32 pm »
Pete: We gotta hook up, I know your around here somewhere but at a distance at the same time. I'd like to take ya on a flint run with me. Always spontanious activity but happens oftenish :). I've enjoyed what little Rhyolite I've worked with though.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 10:32:13 pm »
I really don't thinktheres a saler of rhyolite but i know the largest contration is found in NC. You might try this website i found where they sale rhyolite in rough form and then maybe you can knapp it into the preforms you want.. http://www.greatrough.com/rough_rhyolite_wonderstone.shtml,  the problem is that rhyolite is mainly used in bead or pendent form for jewelry.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

PeteDavis

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:34:45 pm »
Paul-

Thanks. Still here in Va., but I plan on a cross-country lithics search after the first of the year. Perhaps I'll swing to your area and have a look. You all have great flint and you have been generous with it. This rhyolite was a weekend discovery. My friend Jim Cornwell came up and we knapped together friday. He gave me a chunk of the rhyolite and i was able to clean it up. It gave up a few spalls, but this material is going to take some effort to learn! For some reason, the color just gets me going and the texture is real sturdy. It breaks scary sharp. I am pretty sure Jim has a good source but I might like to make a run myself and see what I can find. I may see you this winter!

PD

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:48:15 pm »
The very first point I ever made was from some green ryolite.  Hillbilly talked me through it and I used abo tools to make it.  Man, that was some tough stuff!  I wore a quarter size blister on my finger just making that one point.  It hurt, but felt good at the same time. ;D  That was the only piece I've ever worked, but would love to try it again.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline arappaho

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 10:59:20 pm »
Yeah, Pete, I know Jim and if you make it down this way I'm sure we could hook you up
with some of that rhyolite rock. It does take some getting used to, but no heat-treating
necessary, just start busting. Ofcourse, just like any other rock, there are all different grades
of it. My best old collecting sites have a bunch of new homes sitting on it now, but hope to
get out after the first of the year and try and find some new sources.
Get in touch anytime.
Joe

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 12:46:40 am »
Just lemme know if your gonna be in the area Pete: The hill country is just a few hours away ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 10:34:37 am »
My best old collecting sites have a bunch of new homes sitting on it now, but hope to
get out after the first of the year and try and find some new sources.

Bet it was the same place me and James would get it.. that has to have been 7or8 years ago. maybe longer.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline arappaho

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 05:03:04 pm »
Hey leapingbare, :)
I gotta tell you, I sure have been enjoying veiwing yours, and all these other guys, work!

Now, if by James, you mean Hardawaypoints, then it is entirely possible. Jim knows where alot
of my rhyolite comes from and 7 or 8 years ago would be about right. But, if you mean James parker,
then I think most of his rhyolite comes from the Randolph County area and most of mine comes
from the next county east, Chatham County. The Uwharries ain't nothing but all kinds of
rhyolite. You just have to wait for some sort of developement to go in and jump on it. Some of
it will knap and some of it won't. You never know until you try.

I'm looking forward to doing some rhyolite hunting this coming year. I've been chasing quartz
crystals alot lately and I'm ready to get back into hunting some real rock! Some of the local
rock hounds that showed up at the Knap-In in Burlington this past September had some of
the prettiest rhyolite I've ever seen. I wasn't even sure if it was rhyolite, but that's a whole
nother story. ;)

Joe

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 09:19:38 pm »
Rhyolite is some of my favorite rock if it's the good stuff. Joe, I haven't had a chance to beat on any of that stuff i got from you yet. I think some of it is gonna be good.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline arappaho

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 11:10:17 pm »
Hey Hillbilly, :)
I like the stuff, too.
A really good knapper of our NC rhyolite told me once that you can't always go by the way
the stuff looks. Sometimes some really good looking stuff won't work worth a darn and
some really ugly stuff may work like a charm.
I think that's what I love about it, there are so many different types, textures, colors, etc.
So I'm real curious how that "high-grade" works, and if I remember correctly, ::)
I believe I'm supposed to get a little something made out of that stuff. ;)

Joe

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 12:36:55 pm »
You are ???  ??? ;D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 07:28:34 am »
Like Joe said, the best rhyolite quarry site around here was covered by houses years ago. The volume of ancient debitage on that site still blows me away every time I think of it.  People utilized the rock at that place for a long time.  I have a few new spots to prospect, but little free time to do it right here in the heart of deer season.  This winter will probably be a good time.

I enjoyed meeting and knapping with Pete & look forward to doing more in the future. Thanks for taking time off to come by the horse show Pete.  I'm sure I'll be up there again.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.