Author Topic: smoothing vanes  (Read 4866 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: smoothing vanes
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 11:47:57 am »
I don't use an arrow shelf so a floppy rest really goes a long way at preventing hand damage from the fletchings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 12:08:20 pm »
Ferret's Floppy Arrarest (TM) is the way to go for sure!

Offline NTD

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 04:40:45 pm »
Thanks all for the replies.  The moleskin sounds like a good idea!!

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 09:27:23 am »
i always use a buffing wheele or sanding drum on a dremel tool. preferably the buffing wheele because it will "sand" down the vane without damageing your shaft. i had to shoot my frined's composite bow for a shoot a while back. still have a scar.  :'(
lets just shoot it

Offline Scowler

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 11:24:27 am »
I use scissors to cut a 1/2" lengh of feather material from the quill.  I then use a Dremel sanding disc or 150 grit sandpaper to sand down/smooth the exposed 1/2" of the quill.  You should have an angled, smooth transition from shaft to quill.  I then wrap the front of the quill with artificial sinew.  I continue the wrap for about 1/2" to 3/4"  onto the shaft.  I tie off the beginning and end of the wrapping.  I then apply a coat of Barge cement to the wrapping and allow it to set overnight.  Good luck.   

gutpile

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 12:24:13 pm »
you can always strip the feathers from the quill...I don't have a quill on my feathers and never have the above problem...I lay down some glue on shaft then wrap with sinew...feathers will not come off and are as stiff as before..gut

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 03:35:39 pm »
scar tissue on your knuckle fixes the problem :)