Author Topic: Shaving Horse Sub?  (Read 5393 times)

VenomBOWslinger

Re: Shaving Horse Sub?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 02:17:29 pm »
Mine looks exactly like Pappys but i do dig ADB's and that woodin bow vice a ma bob...i saw one like that on 3rivers...Oh yeah by the way I have so many shavings I hope I dont have a fire!!! ADB is that a nail file ur using ur gona be there a while with that thing!!! I saw this thing called a JAW HORSE carpenters use it looks awesome u use ur foot to clamp it down its used to hold full sheets of plywood and such...very strong and not too expensive...lets see my mess of a bow bench hopefully i got a pic!  I dont have a good one all full of junk shavings and tools...right now il get back to u....oh yeah if u aint got a good vice i have used a couple of C clamps and attached to a table or saw horses would do!!!

CHEERS!!!

Offline MaceG

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 03:26:41 pm »
Here's mine. Also from a waterbed.

Set happens - Jawge

Offline BigNocker

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 07:13:35 pm »
I guess waterbeds are only good for cutting up for other projects.  :D

I really like that adjustabe limb support set-up.  Neat deal!  I've got a vise that rotates on two axis that I use for shaping knife scales.  I was thinking that might work well for this undertaking.
"Hail to the king baby!" "Balls of steel"

Offline MaceG

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 08:36:20 pm »
Yeah. That with an adjustable support ought to give you all the angles you need.
Set happens - Jawge

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 12:30:47 am »
Mine looks exactly like Pappys but i do dig ADB's and that woodin bow vice a ma bob...i saw one like that on 3rivers...Oh yeah by the way I have so many shavings I hope I dont have a fire!!! ADB is that a nail file ur using ur gona be there a while with that thing!!! I saw this thing called a JAW HORSE carpenters use it looks awesome u use ur foot to clamp it down its used to hold full sheets of plywood and such...very strong and not too expensive...lets see my mess of a bow bench hopefully i got a pic!  I dont have a good one all full of junk shavings and tools...right now il get back to u....oh yeah if u aint got a good vice i have used a couple of C clamps and attached to a table or saw horses would do!!!

CHEERS!!!
Nope, that's a Nicholson #50 rasp.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 07:00:36 am »
Tom all the tool and saws are under roof ,I just wipe them down in the winter with wd40 to keep them from rusting. The botton run on the benches[especilly the one I use most] has the bottom
support just where I need so I set my foot up on it and the bow limb on my knee to support it while I am scraping or filing on it. The big heavy one made from a truck frame is mainly used for debarking Osage or Hickory,it is heavy enough so it won't move when you really get after one with the draw knife. :) I bought it at a sale for $7.00 no body even bid on it. It is great for what it is used for.Money well spent. ;) :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 09:27:09 am »
I tried using a shaving horse. I just couldn't get used to it. Here's my set up.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/bowbench.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!