Author Topic: HOT BOX question  (Read 3413 times)

VenomBOWslinger

HOT BOX question
« on: October 25, 2009, 08:10:38 pm »
I  am lazy right now and gettin off the computer I have to build a hot box and would like to know the name of that foil backed sheetrock stuff they build hot box out of!!!

Cheers!!!

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: HOT BOX question
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 08:36:05 pm »
We call it Thermax, but different areas have different trade names for the same stuff.  Just a suggestion...I would build it out of plywood then line with 1/4" thermax.  Make it nice and you will only have to make it once.
Traverse City, MI

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 08:42:02 pm »
its just foam covered with foil more or less.  one side is shiny and one side isn't.  Real easy to find at lowe's or home depot.  don't forget the metal tape.  duct tape or masking tape won't stick when it gets warm.  one 4'x8' sheet should be enough for a 1' x 1' x 6' box.  and a couple of $5 drop lights and 100w bulbs.  if your drying staves 1 60w bulb will do it.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:46:16 pm »
man plywood is overkill in my sorry opinion.  sorry rick.  here's a pic of mine.  use the thick stuff and its plenty stiff enough to last.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:29:12 am »
I did mine from 1/4" ply with 1" foil backed foam insul. Yes duct tape don't like the heat much!
Foil tape is much tougher and resists the heat. No problem to run up to 200deg  plus with this thing...maybe overkill, but I like to build as good as I can, so I don't need to redo it in the future.

This thing will double as a final resting place almost....14"X24"X84"..

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 09:11:33 pm »
Easternarcher-  Don't worry about building overkill,  mine is 3/4" AC ply with the 1/4" thermax, but then again my kids get up on it and jump around.   Also I have mine on a dimmer so I can regulate temp. easily. 
Venom- Don't forget to drill some holes at each end to allow moisture to escape, and add a small fan.  Keep a humidity meter in the box so you can keep an eye on that and temp.  Too dry and you will have problems.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 09:50:56 pm »
Easternarcher-  Don't worry about building overkill,  mine is 3/4" AC ply with the 1/4" thermax, but then again my kids get up on it and jump around.   Also I have mine on a dimmer so I can regulate temp. easily. 
Venom- Don't forget to drill some holes at each end to allow moisture to escape, and add a small fan.  Keep a humidity meter in the box so you can keep an eye on that and temp.  Too dry and you will have problems.

Rick...great idea on the humidity meter! I gotta get me one of those! I got mine on a dimmer too. It wasn't cheap (150.00) but it was worth every penny.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 09:58:42 pm »
i made mine from just the foil backed foam insulation
wish i would have done the ply wood way and lined it with the foil backed insulation
they work fine for awhile but time and gravity causes things to sag and droop
with a plywood body this wont happen near as easy or as soon
not to mention you can store staves ontop of it and inside
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 10:34:16 pm »
Here's mine...sorta. yeah it doubles as a lumber shelf and workbench at times. framed with 1X2 strapping ripped in half.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 10:37:55 pm »
see now thats what i wish i would have done the first time around
now i have to rebuild it
its like they say
"if ya aint gonna take the time to do it right the first time,when are ya going to find the time to fix it?"
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 02:47:30 pm »
that is one nice hotbox...holey moley..the one i looked at making was just thermax or that foil backe insulation cut holes add 3 drop lites and 100watters and away we go...I read as long as temp get up to 160 degrees a few hours then let it cool down should be good to go eh??? I suppose it depends what ur using it for!!!
Thanks PA BROS.

CHEERS!!!

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 03:02:51 pm »
that is one nice hotbox...holey moley..the one i looked at making was just thermax or that foil backe insulation cut holes add 3 drop lites and 100watters and away we go...I read as long as temp get up to 160 degrees a few hours then let it cool down should be good to go eh??? I suppose it depends what ur using it for!!!
Thanks PA BROS.

CHEERS!!!

I do 3-4 hrs. at 140-150deg. and turn off the heat. let it cool natural like. No troubles yet...