Author Topic: Some BBI questions  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Kegan

Some BBI questions
« on: October 25, 2009, 03:05:27 pm »
I have a few questions before I start my first few bamboo and ipe lam bows.

1. Should I clean the back of the ipe first with acetone? I read somewhere it was oily.

2 .Would a straight limbed flatbow have too much shock with straight reflex? I'm going to try a R/D, of course, but straight bows don't make me cry ;D

3. Does ipe mind a radiused belly (I have the feeling this is a silly question, but still)?

Thanks all :)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Some BBI questions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 04:14:54 pm »
yes, no, no.... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 04:48:01 pm »
Thanks Ryan :)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 05:57:28 pm »
yes, no, no.... ;D
Quit beating around the bush and get to the point Ryan.  ;D
What he said........
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:04:08 pm »
What Ryan said but Also if you use epoxy you should rough up or tooth the surfaces as well. I don't fully trust tb glues for r/d designs but some do.  I use to love resorcinol glue but I had one de lam once so now I use smooth on epoxy with good luck so far. I dont like to round the belly too much because I believe it causes excess set by putting the strain in one spot down the center as opposed to spreading it over the limb. Do round the edges good though. You know that already I'm sure but others reading the thread might get something from it :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:11:59 pm »
I was planning on using TB III. I don't have any epoxies besides resourcinal, and that is reserved for my father's glue ups. I was intending to do limb wraps for looks though, so if it does come apart there will be something to slow the explosion :D

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 01:52:57 pm »
I have had no problems using TB3 on my RD glue ups at all.  Two ipe bows glued with it and NO problems whatsoever.  I prefer Urac 185 but used TB cuz it was what I had and wanted to build a bow right THEN and THERE.