Author Topic: very narrow bow?  (Read 6500 times)

Luc Gilbert

very narrow bow?
« on: October 25, 2009, 02:03:31 am »
Hello
So I just finished my first self bow and I'm very happy with it. (will post pics when I can get them off my camera) But now I want to try to make an other. this next bow i want to make a long bow about 72 inches, but as narrow as possible. I like this look.
Now the store by my place has many many woods to choose from in board form, so I was thinking of choosing one of these and backing it with either bamboo or sinew. What   wood do you think would allow me for the narrowest bow possible. I was thinking IPE, but I'm not 100% sure. If it is ipe, would it work well with sinew? i always see it with bamboo, but would rather try sinew first it would work.
 I can post the link to the wood the store has to show what i can choose from, but not sure if that is aloud.
 thank you for your help.

Offline PatM

Re: very narrow bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 09:58:16 am »
 A lot of guys make Ipe or bulletwood bows under an inch in width. Justin posted an Ipe D bow that was unbacked and about 3/4" wide. I would go with a bamboo backing rather than sinew.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:06:58 am »
Luc
Posting a direct link is not allowed but you can mention the name of the store or if people want to know they can PM you
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Luc Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 12:14:06 pm »
thank you for the reply. Is the Specific gravity of the wood what determines how wide or narrow a bow will be? If this is the case I was thinking I would try some ebony. might be good, and look real good.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:24:08 pm »
Ipe makes a great selfbow. Bazillions of Amazon natives will attest to this..Since you have made just one self bow my advice is to make another..like a long slender Ipe bow ;)

Rich-

Luc Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 03:47:44 pm »
is it possible to make an unbacked ipe bow from a board if the grain is good and straight with no run offs?

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 07:27:47 pm »
Are you reading the replies?

Luc Gilbert

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 08:27:37 pm »
Yes I am reading the replies. That is why I'm going to use ipe. But I have never seen an un-backed ipe bow and I was not sure when Rich suggested I make a selfbow out of it if he knew I have only access to ipe boards and not staves. So just making sure I would be well off with jsut boards.  :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 10:25:59 pm »

Luc Gilbert

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 10:36:22 pm »
Thank you very much pat, that is almost exactly what i'm was looking for!

Offline NTD

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 03:08:21 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5313.0.html
  That's the thread you need to look at.

I know I've said it before but By-Golly-Gee I sure like looking at that bow!!!!  Still my favorite...

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 10:52:11 am »
Ipe or osage is the wood you need for such a narrow bow. If you want a long ELB, sinew won't work. The narrowest bow I've made was a maple backed osage, 1" at grip. 72" NTN, 45#. If you have the right piece of wood, a selfbow is fine, but if it was me, I'd back it with something, especially if it's a board.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 01:50:47 pm »

Here is a 1" wide Red Oak Board bow that I made.  It is 64" long draws 41 lbs at 28".  It has 1 5/8" string follow....not too bad in my book for the width and being a red oak board bow.....

And here is a narrow Ipe bow I made....not unbacked though.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,15163.0.html

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 09:20:39 pm »
Luc I made several ELBs from one big hickory board, all three were about an inch wide by 72" long. I would not say they were the most efficient bows out there, but none broke. I really like that Red Oak ELB, I would never have thought you could make an ELB with red oak

Luc Gilbert

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 09:41:10 pm »
Great to hear that i might be able to make one from a more local wood like hickory or red oak. I think I shall practice with those since they are a lot cheaper then the ipe.