Author Topic: Yew Bush bow  (Read 9841 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Yew Bush bow
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 09:22:37 pm »
nice bow man!  I love the snake in the top limb.   :) :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 09:24:12 pm »
Thanks again guys for checking out the bow. Radius, as a matter of fact I did use a Stanley 4 in 1 rasp on a good part of it. For the bulk of removal I used a Stanley 8" coarse rasp, flat on one side half round on the other. I think it was Dean Torges that wrote " use a round tool to make a flat, and a flat tool to make a round", that works for me.  I also used my Mystic river scraper, 10 gauge stainless steel shaped like a popsicle stick, only bigger.

Kerbinator pictures of the splice below. I used a V-splice on this one since it is only 1-1/8"wide, usually I use a W pattern. Glued with titebond II. Your cuts do no have to be super accurate, just put wood blocks on each side and c-clamp the hell out of it.

Belly side

Back

Side view
I am putting the finish on thew bow now, then a stacked, shaved leather arrow rest (yes I am a wus, no off the knuckle for me), and will finish with a leather grip.

radius

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 11:55:59 pm »
no knuckle shots?  ya big baby!

cool wood and good splice, bro

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 07:01:17 am »
Very nice job on a challenging piece of wood.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

kerbinator

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 09:26:56 am »
Thanks for the pictures. Very inspiring bow. Marlin

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 12:01:34 pm »
Nicely done. Got your fine weapon bookmarked for Oct Self BOM fun, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 02:17:56 pm »
Very nice bow!
Looks like tillering wasn't a piece of cake on this one!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 08:51:12 pm »
Medicinewheel, a funny thing about tillering. After the initial rough shaping I measure the thickness every 4", figuring I was going to be really precise. After about two minutes of work I realized the bow was not impressed with my precision measuring job, it was going to bend where it wanted, when it wanted. Back to my eyeballs and a 4" scraper held against the inside curve for gauge. I am taking the caliper back to work.

Radius, I like being a big baby with the arrow rest, Shootin off knuckle; Phffft,Ouch!..., Phffft,Ouch!..., Phffft,Ouch!... >:D

Offline gmc

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 09:12:33 pm »
Excellent looking bow, no doubt a tough job all the way through.

Central Kentucky

radius

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 01:54:21 am »
i agree with you about not bothering to measure this stuff!  Man, when i made laminates, everything was so precise!  Now, i choose a center, draw a centerline, trying to follow the wood, then use a sharpie to mark a rough outline for the bandsaw.  Then, it's all about the bend and nothing to do with the measuring tools.  I only use them for the tip overlays and string grooves, pretty much.