Author Topic: sawblade points  (Read 3405 times)

Offline paulc

sawblade points
« on: October 27, 2009, 01:51:16 pm »
How do you treat your skil saw blade points from cutting them out to mounting them on an arrow?  I saw a mention here recently of someone tempering the point first...I just cut them to shape, put an edge on the point and put it on a shaft.  Am I missing a step or two? 

What is your process?  TIA  paulc

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: sawblade points
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 02:19:58 pm »
if you keep the point from getting too hot from the cut out process they will retain the original temper of the saw blade which is good as long as it is a straight steel sawblade (not carbide-tipped... they use weaker metal in the blades I heard)  I use a dremmel with a reinforced cutoff wheel to cut mine out and i routinely douse the metal in water to keep it cool as I cut them out.  Then I file a bevel, mount them, and final sharpen them. Havent got a deer with one yet but I am fairly confident they will do the job.  Sharp as hell and hold an edge great!   Hope this helps!  :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 02:23:27 pm »
What Josh said!   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PeteC

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:40:03 pm »
Paul ,the easiest way I've found,which I use on all my sharp points,is to heat cherry red,then quench in motor oil. Make sure you have the finished shape and the edges beveled before tempering.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Wildchild

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:26:12 pm »
dont mean to steal your post Paul, but i was wondering if anyone whose made the sawblade points think they would stand up to vigourous target shooting, and still be ok for hunting, as long as you re-sharpened them?
They may be able to take our guns...but when they do, they better beware our bows!

Independence, MO

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 07:08:00 am »
Wildchild ,Sure they will, I shoot mine all the time,no reason for them not to. :) Sometimes when I used artificial sinew they fried a little on the rap but using real backstrap sinew sealed with tru oil I haven't had that problem anymore. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 11:35:24 am »
They should hold up as good if not better than store bought broadheads.   Just don't go shooting them constantly into cinder blocks or anything like that.  Should be fine.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Wildchild

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 01:52:29 am »
thanks Pappy and Josh, and Pappy, do you know where i could get Tru Oil? i never heard of it until i read a few posts where it was mentioned here on PA.
They may be able to take our guns...but when they do, they better beware our bows!

Independence, MO

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 10:33:35 am »
tru oil
you should be able to find just about anywhere
sporting goods stores,wally world,fleet farm suppy stores etc. etc. etc.
its a gun stock oil,you should be able to find it anywhere that sells guns and gun cleaning supplies
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Wildchild

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 12:59:23 pm »
oh, ok thanks sailordad

WildChild

Independence, MO