Author Topic: MY HUNTING GEAR..SNIPERBOWHUNTER..new PiCs!!!  (Read 11435 times)

coyote pup

Re: MY HUNTING GEAR..SNIPERBOWHUNTER..new PiCs!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 02:16:05 pm »
You look like a moss-covered sasquatch :D   So that's good!  I think you got a good set-up and I like that hickory bow.  I say you're the one who know how you hunt and in what types of environment, so if the suit works for you, that's all that matters.  I know one thing for sure - you won't need to put up no blind if you don't plan on moving and just want to ambush 'em!

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 07:29:40 pm »
That is absolutly right I like to sit and wait also like to stalk!!! Where I live its all hardwood with patches of pine and scrub. As far as the ghillie goes if some NON believer tried one out they will see for themselves...Today I had squirrels jumping off my head and a huge flock of turkeys surrounded me!!! It works!!!!

Thanks!!!

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 08:28:07 pm »
Looks like a killer combo to me... I use natural camo.. grasses, moss, mud, pine boughs.. etc.. all the time... good on you young brother.. aim small miss small.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Re: MY HUNTING GEAR!!! with enlarged photos!!!!! MUST SEE!!!
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 09:12:49 pm »
Yep....that exactly the way I go....full Tilt!! I have an Army Surplus Marine Sniper Guille Suit....weighs about 40 pounds with all of that Jute....but man it works great....as long as You stay out of the Cockle Burrs....and Stickers......... :o

Man, I'd be careful about calling a Marine's suit "Army Surplus"........hmm

piper

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 09:59:12 pm »
SEMPER FI !! i second that about the army surplus marine sniper suit , and rus i'm gonna have to get you some diamondback skins or copperhead for your bow so it can be camoed too

Rhinegold

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 10:06:49 pm »
The suit looks like a really good idea, but I have to question its practicality.  As someone had suggested earlier, I think your suit will get caught on every branch, twig, leaf, stick and bramble within arms reach as you try to sneak or stalk through the woods. I'm afraid you'll find yourself unhooking those camo ribbins more often than actually hunting; looking for deer.
Maybe it would be better to have a large camo CAPE than a camo SUIT.

You could keep the cape rolled up in your pack while searching the woods for an appropriate spot...then wear it while you wait in silence with arrow nocked and ready.

Rhinegold

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 10:08:43 pm »
  Also, when I went to put a finish on my huntin' bow, I painted on some dark brown stain so that it looked just like any ol' stick in the woods.
Excellent idea...the colour of the bow is the only thing that stands out.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 10:49:58 am »
Howdy Group,

Yes RhineGold, A Ghillie cape sounds a lot more practicle.  Man, that sounds great, to sneak into a ground blind or by some ol' blowdown and then slip on an ulta-camo cape - they'ld never know what hit 'em!

VenonBslinger, I hope you are able to get out in the woods for some huntin', and you could field test that suite.  I hope it brings you success. 
Also, I checked out your bow again - that's a really nice lookin bow.  I like it!!  No whistles or bells for me; just stick n' string.

All the Best,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 10:53:49 am »
2 things i have a ghillie rag to cover the bow...numba 2...CANOE  Its ok ur opinion is welcome... it is a different method of camoflauge and most people wouldnt think of trying it...Im the type of person who likes to step outside my boundries and continue to push the envelope!! Numba 3...oh yeah said 2 things right??? Anyway I had sanded and stained that bow like five times and doesnt seem to take any in dont know why but I like it...the bow stand out so u guys can see what I got in my hand...GEE some of u sure are picky...was only trying to make my stuff visible other wise u wouldnt see how I made my bow...

KEN hold onto ur snakeskins ur bow will be there soon!!!!

------my findings using a ghillie...I have found that yes u do pick up some leave some twigs but the more u wear it and use it ur JEDI mind tricks keep most of that stuff off...So at first I came home with mostly leaves and it took me a WHOLE 5 minutes to pull off and it got less and less as I wore it more... Wearing that thing makes U aware of ur surroundings...by the way how boring would this site be if we all put on green tights and ran around the woods 

I also found that the buck I am hunting couldnt see me!  There were squirrels jumping off my head and turkeys was all around me!!! They never knew I was there...As for the big one I screamed when the squirrel jumped off my head it startled me...buck kinda looked and trotted off!!! Im gonna get u buck if ur reading this!!!!

THANKS to all who responded to this post...I appreciate ur time and comments!!!!!

Russ/ VENOM
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:03:01 am by VenomBOWslinger »

Rhinegold

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 07:37:43 pm »
I also found that the buck I am hunting couldnt see me!  There were squirrels jumping off my head and turkeys was all around me!!! They never knew I was there...As for the big one I screamed when the squirrel jumped off my head it startled me...buck kinda looked and trotted off!!! Im gonna get u buck if ur reading this!!!!
LOL!!!

I wonder about the eyesight of our cloven hoofed friends...particularly moose.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 11:03:35 pm »
All in all I would like to say I am fascinated by concealment and always been a fan of snipers and the ghillie... many forms of ghillies were used throughout time I will get some literature for u guys so u can see..I think scotts or irish used forms of ghillies like capes, of course most special forces worldwide use ghillies in certian situations and even many tribal people used natural surroundings to blend in and disappear...I do kinda feel weird when someone driving down the road looks at me and I get the feeling when I bend over to tie my boot Im going to get shot..But like I said before Im always doing or trying something new and as far as I see so far the difference is incredible..How many of u have had squirrels bouncing off ur head and turkey so close u could probably kill one with a knife!!! I think its safe for me to say it made a huge difference.  They do make suits that are made from cloth strips that wont pick up debri as much but for my situation this suits me just fine Im hiding in a blind with the occasional stalk and walk...Im hunting in hard would beech and oak groves not much to get snagged on.  I dare some of u to at least look into it and consider the possibilty to one day give it a try... Thanks for all the responses...much obliged!!!

Cheers, Russ/Venom

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2009, 11:26:49 am »
"...how boring would this site be if we all put on green tights and ran around the woods"(?)  Hey!!!  Quit picking on me!!  And, there's nothing wrong with that!!

Howdy VenomBslinger and Group,

Yes VenomB, I know what you mean about blending in so much that you go unnoticed.  I had similar experiences when I decided to focus more fully on scent management.  Once, as I walked into my treestand area, I had to cross a primary deer trail.  And shortly after I got settled in, I saw a large doe slowly walking down that same trail with nose to the ground.  I figured she'd scent me, but no, she just kept walking and didn't even pause at the spot were I crossed her trail...  We eat well that night.

I'm glad to hear that your Ghillie Suite is working for you - sounds great.  I guess not everyone hunts in the very thick tag alder wetlands as I often do.  Especially now that I'm strictly a ground hunter, I think it would be really cool and helpful to put one of those suites on after I got to my ground blind.  I've been spotted out by deer too many times.

All the Best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 01:17:24 pm »
ya know what? im tierd of sitting at home. im bout to go find something to shoot. gotta go dig out my own ghillie siut.

oh yeah, question for ya venom: is that a two piece with ghillie pants and jacket? or is it the one piece thats basicly a giant ghillie-sleeping bag with sleeves that you have to get into from the bottom?
lets just shoot it

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2009, 07:54:20 pm »
Canoe it cool brother I really appreciate what u have to say..I do!!! I m just not a green tights robinhood kinda guy...was a joke not directed to u was intended for the viewers to chuckle a bit...Recurve shooter its a 2 piece pant and jacket...U can make ur own very easy its made fromthose light weight breathable camoflauge material with jute sewed int it same with the hat... U like it can give u a site they are cheap!!!

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2009, 02:50:09 pm »
U know I made that Hickory Bow and I think a few of those full draw pics would make a nice phot for the calender or what have u I guess I need to make a Bow with diamonds next time to get picked...Back to the drawing board!!!...lol

CHEERS!!!