Author Topic: Will I ever get a bow not to break.  (Read 6954 times)

Offline Benvse

Will I ever get a bow not to break.
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:46:54 am »
I keep Breaking my bows I don't even finish the tillering process.  I have broke 4 now.  I really want to get into this but it is upsetting when you keep breaking them.  I don't have a camera so I can show where they are breaking.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a class in the St. Louis area where I can get some instruction.  Or just please tell me how you guys started and how long it took before you made your first shooters.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Will I ever get a bow not to break.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:55:13 am »
If you get a chance to go to a bowyer event (like Pappy's Classic) you will learn more in a weekend than a year by yourself. Probably even come away with a shooter.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 10:58:38 am »
Your not even close to the record yet, which I believe Jawge set at 14 in a row :)

I started with ash boards and little knowledge, first one held together and came in at a whoping 8# of draw weight :)
I wa pleased as all hell about that bow and still have it as a reminder :) Best advice I can give you is to don't give up,
go slowly and lots of patience. Ask questions on here and by all means post some pictures when you need help.
Also if you can make it to Pappys this May for the Tennessee Classic you will have all kinds of folks to help you :)
St Louis isn't all that far from pappy's so you may want to make some plans to attend.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:59:12 am »
If you get a chance to go to a bowyer event (like Pappy's Classic) you will learn more in a weekend than a year by yourself. Probably even come away with a shooter.

Good advice Jeff ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:19:35 am »
I know it is discouraging but keep at it. Are you using boards or staves? Get you a nice hickory stave and see what happens. You can get them on the cheap on the big auction site now. I live North of St.louis close to  Quincy so would be glad to help you all I can. Dean

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:26:27 am »
I know the feeling and it was just when I was most frustrated when I got one to work.  I broke probably 6 and then had a shooter.  Did you read TBB1?  Wish I had read that straight away to get a better understanding of some basics.  I had a lot of successes using a 6/4 quartersawn board from a hardwood dealer.  Hickory is really forgiving.  I followed the dimensions for the osage flatbow in the book.  Took the time to tiller and exercise the bow.  Do you have a cellphone that can take pictures or know someone who does?  You can email them to yourself and open with microsoft paint, reduce the size, then post.  

Just some thoughts, hope this helps.  Keep going - you're getting close, for sure.  
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 11:41:38 am »
I know how you feel I broke several before I got a shooter.What seem to be happening to them.Are they all breaking the same way or all different.What kind of wood are you using? I know these are a lot of questions but if we know we can probably help you through it.If it was easy everyone would do it but once you get that first shooter there ant much else like it. :) By the way I still break some. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TBod

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 12:05:19 pm »
You can look at Gordon's Hazel buildalong on this site. It really helped me. See Jawges site also.

My first also came in at 8#, next day it "exploaded" in 6 pieces. I keep the pieces as sweet memory..

coyote pup

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 12:26:54 pm »
As said, go get you a hickory stave and/or get yourself to a bowyer's event.

Offline Dano

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 12:31:15 pm »
Come to MOjam in July, it's in Marshall, MO, just a few hours from you, it's a weekend of bow building just like Pappy's but closer for you. All I can say is be patient, learn from every bow or in your case break  ::) and by all means have fun at it.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Benvse

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 12:32:55 pm »
I have been using ash boards.  The boards have been breaking when I tiller.  Usually towards the middle of a limb.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 12:40:02 pm »
Are you backing the boards before the tillering process?  If so, what with?  If your grain isn't great, maple will split.

My first bows were all made from less-than-ideal red oak 1X2's and they all split.  I backed on with fiberglass...three layers of glass-matt drywall tape and TBII sealed up the grain nice enough to hold 60lb draw weights.

Of course people here shun glass, and it's not what this forum is about, but sometimes failures can steer a person away from hobbies like these.  The heart needs a quick, simple success sometimes.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 12:44:33 pm »
"If you ain't breakin' 'em - you ain't buildin' 'em!"

Howdy Benvse,

Another very good source, that I found to be very helpful was Paul Comstock's 'The Bent Stick.'  

You also have to know that not just any board makes a bow.  It has to have very straight grain on the side and edge of the board, and the grain must run the whole length of the board.

It's also helpful to make them a little on the wider side; like 1-7/8" to 2" for over 2/3erds of the length of the bow.

Jawge's web site is very helpful, and it shows how to choose a a board from the Big Box store or from the mill.

Also, almost any of the hardwoods will make a good bow; Maple, Red Oak, Hickory, White Ash...

This link is a "how-to site for poor people and/or apartment dwellers who want to build bows".  It is a very good place to start...

http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/index.html

Keep at it,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 01:12:49 pm »
hickory is a good idea to start with if you can get it. if not don't be afraid to back a bow, you can get hickory backign strips online for pretty cheap. once you get one made that holds together, so many things fall into place and the rest will get easier and easier. Of course i just had one break on me a couple months ago during the initial tillering, thats just the way it goes sometimes.
45# at 27"

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 01:19:08 pm »
I'm guessing you have some bad ash boards that have grain runouts, one you get them floor tillered back
the bow with linen or silk and you will get yourself a shooter.

Manistique, MI