Author Topic: Let Me Ask A Stupid Question About Platforms...  (Read 2653 times)

CodyCoyote

Let Me Ask A Stupid Question About Platforms...
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:55:32 pm »
Well i dont know where to start, im trying this knapping thing but im breaking everything I try. What is a platform? where do I flake off of it and how do I make one? Im know this is a stupid question but help would be nice

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
Re: Let Me Ask A Stupid Question About Platforms...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:08:10 pm »
check out youyube there are a lot of good videos that should help you out
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:15:57 pm »
I am still learning myself. Watch the knapping videos on you tube. They will get you going in the right direction. Of course keep on chipin.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 09:35:16 pm »
A platform is a spot you are planning to hit.  It should be below the center line of the rock.  It should be ground with an abrading stone to thicken the edge to prevent the edge from crumbling.  A good trick is when grinding your edge, grind a flat spot at 90 degrees to angle of the swing on your platform.  It doesn't have to be large, just big enough so you can see it clearly.   This give you a sturdy platform and a place to hit.  You are probably breaking stuff because you are hitting about 1/8" off.  Usually high.  I have seen James Parker, Woody Blackwell, Jim Redfern and many other expert knappers break stuff.  It Happens, but the more you pratice, the fewer you will break.  Bill

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 09:40:22 pm »
before you understand a plat form you need to understand the centerline. take your rock and lay the flat side in your hand , now tern it up right, if you could slice it in half and have equal pieces were would you slice it? this imaginary line your picturing is your centerline. now a plat form is a dip in the Side of the rock that is below your center line. you abrade your platform and smack it. to knock the flack off below the centerline.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Newbow

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 03:22:45 am »
Some of the videos that were suggested can be found at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=paleomanjim#p/u
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=FlintknapperJimmy#p/u
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Flintknappingtips#p/u

There's a lot of stuff there, and you'll still have questions, but those vids will go a long way toward self help.  Keep banging away!

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 07:00:54 am »
Great vids newbow I seen the jimmy one and the slowmo one pretty neat!!! Its good to ask questions no matter how stupid u might feel asking these gentlemen are all willing to help...goodluck and keep on busting!!!
CHEERS!!!

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:54:08 am »
Where are you located?  If there is a knapper nearby, you can get some good  firsthand advice that will shorten your learning curve.  Those videos are quite good and are better than trying to figure it out by yourself.  Good luck.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:48:57 am »
Cody, I have only been at this a few months myself, so what I am going to pass on to you is from my "beginners" prospective. Others may disagree with me, but this is what is working for me. First, what Hardaway said would be a big help. Also, if there is a knap-in taking place in your area, go if you can. Check out all the videos on you tube you can. But this is the part I have discovered the hard way. When I started, I tried to do to much too fast. I wanted to learn copper and ABO and I wanted to work with every material. This got real frustrating real fast. My suggestion would be to pick one or the other, either copper or ABO. And I would pick one particular material. Most people start with glass because it is easy and cheap. The biggest mistake I made was trying glass, obsidian and all kinds of different rocks that I had collected and have no idea what kind they are and all in the same sitting. The problem with this is they all act different and I wasn't spending enough time on one type to really learn before I was wacking something else. And the way one thing flakes is different from another type. Basically what I learned was to pick a type tool and one type material. Work it until you understand the basics really well. Give it time and then expand to other tools and other materieals.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 12:33:06 am »

It is too bad that PaleomanJim, and the others do not have decent video abilities.  The lighting was terrible, and some of the stuff, I could not see at all.  I would like to see the Jig, and how it was made, but it was in the dark, and some of the points, and nipples, and platforms, were not visible.  It has some really useful material.  You would think that they would review their stuff, and correct it before putting it on You Tube.  They are very talented people at knapping, but not very good at videoing their abilities, and information.  You would think they would have someone to help them film, and tell them, no it can't be seen at that angle, no you need to be in the light more, etc.  Other than the poor video quality, it is very informative, and has some great stuff on it.  I wish they would do a remake and have the stuff more visible, and clear. ;)  I would love to spend a few days with any of them, they have a lot to teach. :)

Wayne