Author Topic: Flint in north east Texas?  (Read 11686 times)

kerbinator

Flint in north east Texas?
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:31:34 pm »
Hey
 I am interested in knappin and so far the best source I can find for knappable rock around here is ebay. I am around the Sulphur river area here in Texas. It doesn't make sense cause I have found plenty of arrow heads and flakes in the fields and they were all grey or red in color. I must be blind or missin somethin. Marlin 

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Flint in north east Texas?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 11:56:06 pm »
Edward Plateau.. you know were that is?  thats were the flint is.. I'v never been to T.X so i dont realy know.. i'v just knapped alot of Tx rock.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 11:57:22 pm »
Could be Alibates too...being that it's Red and Grey....Ya won't find any of that down there....unless it's in Arrowhead form....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 09:18:57 am »
i live in the texarkana area and it is the same around here Indians traveled and traded for material when it was not locally available i do have some sources for some rock if you need your only about an hour from me so if you need any help acquiring some rock or just want to do some knapping let me know
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:11:49 pm by criverkat »
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

kerbinator

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 07:14:39 pm »
i live in the texarkana area and it is the same around here Indians traveled and traded for material when it was not locally available i do have some sources for some rock if you need your only about an hour from me so if you need any help acquiring some rock or just want to do some knapping let me know
Thanks Criverkat
I will keep that in mind. I am a novice knapper I could use some help when it comes to breaking rock.  I guess I am going to have to trade just like the Indians around here did. Marlin

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 07:45:35 pm »
That's interesting. I was with a friend in the Sulphur river picking up shark teeth YEARS ago and found a point in there. Those teeth and other bones are preserved in limestone and I've heard that limestone makes flint. Anyway, seems like there'd be something around there. If ya ever do hit the Edwards Platue you'll find plenty of limestone and flint too. Any creek from Waco to San Antonio and West will generally be loaded.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 07:58:10 pm »
 I just pulled my Texas Artifact book out. It has a map of Texas and where all the lithic resources are located. There is not much in east and northeast Texas. You do have Manning fused glass, and numerous artifact sites made from this material. Also Yegua Gravel, Pisgah Ridge, Uvalde Gravel.

Manning Fused Glass was formed by the fusion of volcanic ash as a result of burning lignite underlying the ash. It is a light grayish blue. Yegua Gravel is quartzites and petrified woods. The Pisgah Ridge Cherts are in the Corsicana- Richland Creek areas of north Texas.The ironized sandstone of the Woodbine formation in the Eastern Cross Timbers, were used for metates, axes, and choppers. The Markley Conglomerates, in the Brazos River area near Graham, where chert and quartzite are found. And the Antlers Formation, exposures of chert and quartzite gravels found in the San Angelo area.

Maybe this will give you something to research and a starting point. Edwards Plateau is found in the cental part of the state north of San Antonio. Happy Hunting.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 02:02:28 am »

Eddie, I would like to get with you and copy that info.  My Sister n Law, has a niece out in Texas, I don't know where, but She and my Brother go out there every year, on their vacation, and travel on beyond.  I tried to get him to get me some Texas flint, but he has no clue what it looks like.  Brought back a piece of .....rock...... :o......I tried to explain to him, but he is in another world when it comes to getting flint.  I told him to uh, you know, like maybe ask someone?.....Anyway, if her niece is located in any of those areas, then maybe I will just accompany them, and load up.  Lot of Tarantulas out there.......I don't rock hunt at night, or around rocks that are around little holes in the ground, or have little tunnels going under them.  Have to carry a stick with me, to whack spiders, scorpions, and snakes.  But I would like to go out there sometime, and load up on some good Texas flint. ;)

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 10:16:57 am »
 Wayne, I'll bring the book to work and scan the map of Texas that shows where the different rock is located.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 09:32:53 pm »

Alright, thanks. 8)
                                      Wayne