Author Topic: Do you keep your wood bow in a brace?  (Read 19845 times)

Far East Archer

Re: Do you keep your wood bow in a brace?
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2009, 11:41:52 am »
Your Yumi is stored in cloth bag, sometime we wrap in some finer cloth before putting into the bag.

"strong and full of energy"
This just mean, it is still elastic and returns to its reflexed shape after unstring. Tired yumi means it has lost its spring, taking a set.
"Gently correcting"
This has to do with side bend, or if area becomes stiff. We put a block under the string at the nocks to correct twist, or, there is special form looks like upside down bench to bend limb side ways.

Because its a laminated bow, it should not be bent to counter set, or tired shape. This puts counter shear stress on glue line and so maybe not very safe.
After a yumi becomes tired, it is usually not shot anymore, or is repaired.

Offline adb

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2009, 11:42:08 am »
Hey, Rhinegold.
Welcome. But, you gotta relax a bit, I think. Why ask advice, if you already know the answer? No, I don't keep any of my bows in any sort of brace. String follow and set are NOT the same thing. You've been given excellent definitions and advice... take it. And please, don't bend any of your bows backwards.
Also, depending on weather conditions, string follow can change. I have a self yew warbow, and in the summer months, it follows the string about 1.5". However, when winter comes, and the furnace kicks in, dropping the RH, the bow (all by itself) follows the string about 3"-4". So, I don't shoot it in the winter, but I don't put it in a brace and bend it backwards either. During the winter, I just leave it be. This bow has about an inch of set, but the string follow will change, just by changes in RH.
Try not to be a smartass... nobody appreciates it. If you're willing, you can learn a great deal here. Good luck with your bow making.  ;)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2009, 01:11:43 pm »
I never realized the extent to which compression effects belly wood until I recently made a boo boo on a bow I was working on.

Tillering along, I thought I could sweat the bow down to the weight I was shooting. However, I didn't take notice that the bow was MUCH heavier than I normally shoot, even broken in. In addition, I hadn't temepered it yet. Yes, I was making alot of mistakes with this one ;D.

When unstrung after a few hours, it had about 2 1/2" of string follow. Blech! I reflexed it on a form and took the heat gun to it... only to have the belly crack horizontally across the limbs! It turns out the wood had compressed permanently. The heat, which shrinks the wood, simply exposed this visually.

My final thoughts? I've seen heat treating to alot to prevent excessive set. However, like bending the bow backwards or trying to rebend the bow, all it did was tear the already compressed belly open. Bascially doing nothing good. This bow is going to have to be thinned and dropped in weight, and then the inner, less damaged wood tempered. How well will this work? I doubt it will work as well as a clean, new, undamaged piece. But it should at least work.

When I first started I did bend my bows backwards. It never worked. After I learned this was a bad idea, my father suggested making a brace to store the bows. It seems a natural, immediate response to fixing a wooden bow. But like alot of "common sense" reactions, it isn't really effective!

As for viable sources, Youtube is as as unreliable as it gets. I've seen numerous videos on there that simply shouldn't be available to beginners. Everything from going from tree to fully drawn bow in an hour to cutting through the back to get rid of knots. My advice would be to get The Traditional Bowyer's Bibles Vol. 1-4 

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2009, 03:59:19 pm »
I just watched the vid..  ROTF....LMAO..... ;D ;D

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2009, 06:06:11 pm »
What David said ^  :D :D :D ::)

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2009, 09:24:04 pm »
I don't post often, but - Kegan's advice about the traditional bowyers bibles vol. 1-4 is right on.   :)

Shadow Walker

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2009, 11:48:07 pm »
In response to the video on you tube, Isn't that video right befoire the video of a kid shooting an apple off of another kid's head????
It's all good though, because the kid with the apple on his head is wearing a plastic bucket over his head for protection!!!
I think I'de rather get my experience from the fine bowyers on this site than learn from you tube!!~

Offline sailordad

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2009, 09:59:25 am »
im with shadow woalker and the rest,get advise from people when it comes to making bows
but then again when he watches you tube,he always wins his own arguments
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

banoch

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2009, 10:56:08 pm »
I hate to step into this discussion but it actually has me curious. Does one store the bow horizontal with the belly or the back up? Horizontal on edge, or what? I am not really concerned with the question of the bow clamp, whatever that is, just want to know the proper way to hang/display/store bows. Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2009, 11:28:54 pm »
I hang my bows on a peg board made with cut offs from cedar arrows. The string on the top limb goes over the peg(unbraced).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2009, 11:58:20 pm »
for mine i have some shelf brackets ( L brackets ) on the wall
i place the bows on that belly side up,they wont lay belly side down
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2009, 01:44:28 am »
Some of mine are standing in the corner (on carpet), some are in tubes, some are stored on a shelf. I don't get real worried about storage so long as they aren't exposed to excessive heat, cold or things of that nature.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2009, 06:27:24 am »
Most of my bows are stored in my cellar stuck in the rafter but some are hung horizontally on nails. The "active" bows are stored in the house in heat or AC. They are resting comfortably on a coffee table in the dining room. When we have guests, I move them. LOL. Don't do as I do. The second best way to store them is horizontally o pegs belly up or down. The best way to store a bow is in someone's hands who'll use'em.  :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Rhinegold

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2009, 08:21:01 am »
Hey, Rhinegold.
Welcome. But, you gotta relax a bit, I think. Why ask advice, if you already know the answer? No, I don't keep any of my bows in any sort of brace. String follow and set are NOT the same thing. You've been given excellent definitions and advice... take it. And please, don't bend any of your bows backwards.

Try not to be a smartass...nobody appreciates it.
Hey Adb, I thank you for the welcome and your technical advice, but I think you may be a bit TOO relaxed. I say this because you obviously haven't read any of my posts with any care or comprehension.

My opening post is posed as a question, not an answer...nor are any of my posts answers.

Do I think set and string follow are the same thing? No, I posted an outside reference pointing out the difference...did you notice that?

Yes, I posted a Youtube video of a guy who makes bows for a living. Youtube is not EVIL...its a medium just like the internet itself, where you can find the entire bell curve of good and bad advice.

Nowhere did I advocate his advice, nor am I following his advice.

What I am doing is clamping my bow straight, not bending it backwards like you see in the video. I dont own any of his bows, nor do I know if there're any good.

Did I advise others to do the same as I'm doing? Nope.

Do I sound like a smartass?

Yes I do Adb...thats how people sound when they are deliberately misquoted.

Check out my other threads.

I can be very nice...when there are no trolls about.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2009, 08:31:21 am »
Welcome to PA Rhinegold. 

I'm sorry but there are no benefits to what you are doing but if it makes you feel good go for it.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com