Author Topic: Cherry ELB cross section?  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Swamp Bow

Cherry ELB cross section?
« on: October 13, 2009, 06:23:47 pm »
Well I finally started on my W. Oak backed Cherry ELB.  Its about 74" long with a target weight of 55-60# @ 32".  Yes, farmers love it when I walk though their fields.  It saves them having to plow  ;D.  I understand that I cannot have a true "D" cross section since the cherry just can't handle that kind of compression.  Just how flat will I need to leave the belly?  The ends are 5/8" square right now.  Should I just put an 1/8" radius on the corners? More? Less?  Also how much should I relieve the corners on the back of the bow?  Just a couple of scrapes worth?

Thanks,
Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Dauntless

Re: Cherry ELB cross section?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:02:36 pm »
For the back of the bow, I think the accepted roundness is that of a pea, which is about 1/8" anyways.  Something similar on the belly is useful too.  I round the corners and burnish heavily: I've never had a splinter pop up.

As for how flat the belly should be, the flatter the better if it's backed with a tension strong wood like White Oak.  I haven't made any Cherry ELBs though so maybe the more experienced guys here could give you a better answer.

Forgo overlays and glue on a ploughshare on the bottom limb.  That'll impress the farmers.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:34:18 pm »
 I don't believe the cherry will hold up to that kind of compression with that cross section. It has been my experiance with cherry the limbs need to be wide and I've seen most of them chrysal over 45#, with a strong backing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:59:26 pm »
Thanks Dauntless.  I'll not put too much of a radius across the back of the bow and leave the white oak pretty flat (it's only an 1/8" thick anyway).  That way there won't be any cherry sticking out of the sides on the back at all.  As much as I like the D shape on the belly of a traditional yew ELB, I'll just have to leave this pretty flat.  This bow is going to be pretty box like when it's said and done I guess.  I wonder if it can be "too" square in the belly?

Nope no plows on the bow, just some beefy gloves to keep the dragging knuckles from getting too torn up!  Good thing my forehead doesn't slope too badly, or the anthropologists would wanna poke me with sticks all day long.   ;)

Mullet,  I'm kinda going for the bow that Tim Baker talks about on pp. 47-48 in TBB2.  Picture is not close enough to really see it.  I'm using oak instead of rawhide, which may or may not be a mistake.  We will see. There is enough material left in the board for at least one more bow, so if it doesn't make it, well so be it.  I'll still hedge my bet as best I can though.  On a good note my neighbor just told me he has a big ole' ERC that fell/leaned over in Hurricane Charley that needs to go.  I hope that there will be some nice staves in it for making a more traditional ELB.  Won't that just suck!

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 10:16:18 pm »
You could always trap (trapezoidal cross section) the White Oak backing.  It would put more strain on it and allow you to round out the cherry a tad more.  Needs to be a good backing though.

If your forehead sloped, you wouldn't need the bow.  You could throw spears faster than arrows.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 10:29:21 pm »
not sure if it helps any but i have a cherry bow backed with hickory thats got a lot of chyrsal none that go completely across but enough to make me nervious . 68 n to n 55 lb at 28 . i think the hickory may be too thick on it close to 3/16 .  ....plenty fields to plow down here if you run out >:D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 08:21:45 pm »
 Swamp, I'm afraid the oak is going to overpower the cherry. If it doesn't work, I have a 2"x 8'Black cherry board that has been curing for about 15 years. I can cut you some off. I also have some Cedar from Charlie, cut and in the shed since 2004.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Far East Archer

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 10:08:38 am »
Keep belly flat for this, but better to trap the back.
If it was me, I would crown the back, and just give the belly round on corner.

If you do again, for same weight/length, make it longer. Start with 80", you can make shorter later....
I would back with maple wood, this is much more better combination. I think good birch works well too.
Ash wood may be too strong, but its an option. If using maple/cherry, I would make oval cross section and fully round towards tips.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 04:11:43 pm »
If you can get cherry to hold together, it makes a wonderful bow. Keep it wide, flat and <50#.