Author Topic: Are heavier points more accurate?  (Read 6432 times)

Rhinegold

Are heavier points more accurate?
« on: October 14, 2009, 12:25:42 pm »
I started using a heavier steel bodkin point a week ago for target practice, and am wondering how altering the point of balance affects accuracy.

Is there an optimal point of balance relative to arrow length as a universal rule???

Offline MikaelMazz

Re: Are heavier points more accurate?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:20:27 pm »
I noticed that my arrows the large wooden blunts and the ones with meatal broadheads fly better than the ones with wooden selfpoints.I dont know none of the what is optimum but weight foward of center does make for a more accurate arrow

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 05:54:57 pm »
changing the weight forward to a larger/heavier point can affect spine
if i remember right   more forward weight/heavier point = less spine from same arrow with lighter point
or i could be talking out my backside,i havent decided yet
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:24:39 pm »
Point weight affects balance, or FOC as it's known and calcualted now. Basically, yes. A heavier point will make a more accurate arrow if the overall weight of the arrow isn't too much and the dynamic spine hasn't become too weak. Some bowhunters prefer a VERY high FOC, escpecially with carbon arrows. With wood and other arrow materials you should find it isn't as necessary. Cane, being light and rigid as well, might also benefit from a high FOC.

The "sweet spot" is 10%-15%. To find your FOC find the balance mark. Measure from that point to the middle of the arrow (from the throat of the nock to the back of the point). This should be a few inches, let's say 3". You then divide that by the arrow length, let's say 30", and get your FOC- 10%. That's acceptable.

An example of what an effect FOC has: I had a set of arrows. With 125 gr blunts they flew wonderfully! As soon as I point similiar weight broadheads on them... all over the place. COuldn't call my shots at 15 yards! I switched to 175 gr points and, even though they are slower and won't shoot as far, they are more accurate now.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 08:01:05 pm »
I have had some arrows that did not fly right, but when I changed the weight of the point they flew much better. A heavier point will settle an overspined arrow down.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Rhinegold

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 08:08:24 pm »
The "sweet spot" is 10%-15%. To find your FOC find the balance mark. Measure from that point to the middle of the arrow (from the throat of the nock to the back of the point). This should be a few inches, let's say 3". You then divide that by the arrow length, let's say 30", and get your FOC- 10%. That's acceptable.
Very helpful Kegan...with this method I'm calculating 27%.

Bodkin points are WAY heavier than a modern broadhead.

Designed in medieval times to penetrate chainmail.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 09:21:00 pm »
 Chris Cade, myself and a few other people have solved the same problem by shooting longer arrows. Shooting 34- 36"arrows I can switch between lighter weight bows and heavy ones by tweecking different weight broadheads. This is with Tonkin Bamboo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 02:40:01 am »
I made 42 white ash selfnocked arrows tipped with hand ground hand made trade points, over a year ago.  The spine weights were fairly uniform (75-85) but the finished arrow weights varied over 100 grains.  These arrows shoot out of every self and backed bow I have really well, and I can"t out shoot the arrows out to 40 yards even with 100 grain differences.  I think the very heavy points are making the difference.  Just my observation.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 01:44:28 pm »
Very helpful Kegan...with this method I'm calculating 27%.

Bodkin points are WAY heavier than a modern broadhead.

Designed in medieval times to penetrate chainmail.

There are a number of archers out there who are very interested in EXTREME FOC.  Most of them seem to be using either tapered arrows or carbons, but they they all seem to say that the arrows are more forgiving and accurate. The only thing that can be said against that would be that they would be nose heavy. Itf that's an issue is up to you though.

Offline agd68

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 07:11:02 pm »
Sailordad you are correct. Heavier points lessens the spine of the shaft.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 11:29:37 am »
Dr Ed Ashby did some penetration test and he said that arrows with an extreme FOC (forward of center) balance point will increase penetration.  But he was testing his arrows on big, heavy-boned animals like water and cape buffalo.  I would think that a reasonable compromise with our bows and arrows would be perfectly adequate on deer-sized game.  From my experience, perfect arrow flight is the number one goal I shoot for.     
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 01:01:58 pm »
Dr Ed Ashby did some penetration test and he said that arrows with an extreme FOC (forward of center) balance point will increase penetration.  But he was testing his arrows on big, heavy-boned animals like water and cape buffalo.  I would think that a reasonable compromise with our bows and arrows would be perfectly adequate on deer-sized game.  From my experience, perfect arrow flight is the number one goal I shoot for.     

...pun intended, right?  ;)

Rhinegold

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 03:48:21 pm »
Can anyone think of a disadvantage to extreme FOC?

What would be the downside to a FOC of say, 50%?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 04:48:26 pm »
I'm not sure what you'd have to do to get to THAT point,  but higher FOC's, as Billy said, can help.

It works like a dart. A heavier point makes it easier to throw. Likewise, in flight the heavier point resists the archer's paradox more than a lighter point. So the arrow striaghtens out a little faster- if it's matched to your bow, this means more retained energy and a straighter flying arrow. They require less fletching as well, which means a faster arrow (provided the higher FOC didn't cause the arrow to become too heavy).

I've seen some shorter arrows with as much as 30% FOC, but I think trying for 50% would be pushing the reasonable window. But who knows? Maybe if you get it going it will be a great arrow.