Author Topic: Nettle info please  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Bullitt

Nettle info please
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:28:25 pm »
 Well, it will soon frost here, and I'm going to gather some nettle for strings.  The info I need is how should I treat them or the retting process. I've made yucca and sinew strings, now want to try this.  Any help is appreciated! Good shootin, Steve

Offline bigcountry

Re: Nettle info please
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 02:12:01 pm »
How good were the sinew strings?  Did you shoot any with em?  I would love to try.  But hate using all that long sinew for it.
Westminster, MD

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:44:07 pm »
Big, hey how you doing?  I put the sinew string on a kids bow. Worked fine. Time consuming, but most of this is!  Steve

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 07:37:35 pm »
I would much rather have the sinew string than the nettle one. There's a reason why almost all existing native American bows had either sinew or rawhide strings, when these people were very good at making vegetable fiber cordage and textiles. When I've made nettle cordage, I've usually handled it dry like dogbane. Careful retting should work, just don't let it rot enough to weaken it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 11:26:57 pm »
Hillbilly, thanks! I'm just wanting to make some cordage and check the strength. One of those things I have to try.  Besides, I have a whole lot of Itchweed around!  Good shootin, Steve