Author Topic: arrow finishes  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Postman

arrow finishes
« on: October 12, 2009, 03:19:36 pm »
I have some doug fir shafts and a new fletching jig - and was wondering how y'all finish them so fletch-tite will stick to the finish. Doing some "modern" trad arrows before I get into sinew, boo and such.  I have tung oil, cabot deck stain, and minwax stain, and spray-on poly. was thinking of staining aand poly-ing them up.
Thanks
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: arrow finishes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:14:44 pm »
When I made cedar arrows I used water based paint for cresting and crown dipping and sealed(dipped) with water based poly. I always used Duco cement for fletching but I think fletch tape would also work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:14:06 pm »
Poly works, but Tru-oil is what I use on most of mine now. I don't use Duco, though- I like superglue or tape. No need to sit there waiting for glue to dry. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:59:21 pm »
My favorite arrow finish is an analine dye, then I do some paint work (water based), then finish with Waterlox (a tung oil based finish).  I like Duco for fletching, it will stick to anything and is easy to find at hardware stores.
Traverse City, MI

Offline WVFishFearMe

• Pamunkey
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 04:07:33 pm »
The Fletchtite has problems unless you sand the finish a little where the quills will lay.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as large as required.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 05:42:31 pm »
I have started using the gasket lacquer and the Big Dipper from 3Rivers because it dries so flippin' fast.  Three coats on a dozen arrows and they were dry enough to start fletching all in under 20 minutes. 

Having said that, now for the downside: 
--Glossy hunting shafts?  Nuh-uh, I gotta rough 'em up pretty good with steel wool to kill the gloss. 
--Heat straightening?  Not a chance.  The finish lifts and bubbles right about the time that the shaft is warm enough to straighten.

Three handrubbed coats of TruOil takes at least an hour of work spread over a whole afternoon when you take into account the drying time, but at least the finish is not overly glossy and they can take the heat to hand straighten down the line when they have the inevitable abuse my arrows suffer.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Postman

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 01:48:09 pm »
thanks - I think I'll try that and maybe try some cherry cabot stain under the tru-oil on one or 2.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA