Author Topic: Fletching question  (Read 2334 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Fletching question
« on: October 11, 2009, 08:17:17 pm »
Which would be better to shoot out of a self bow, straight, left, or right helical?  Or does it matter much.  I have a fletching jig for straight, but I was thinking about buying a new clamp for it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Fletching question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:29:52 pm »
I would go for either left or right helical.  Not a big fan of straight fletch for arrows with broadheads.  I'm pretty sure the twist helps stabilize the arrow.  As far as left or right, it doesn't matter as long as you use the same on the same arrow.  Also if you use a single bevel broadhead you have to match up the fletching to the bevel.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:30:59 pm »
I use a straight fletcher(JoJan Multifletch) that I off set to either right or left depending on the feather. It really doesn't matter if they are right or left as long as you don't mix them on the same arrow. I actually prefer the offset rather than helical for selfbows. The helical took too much energy out of my arrows in flight and were noisier.
  You can test the rotation of your arrows by tying a thread(6" to 8" long) just behind the head and shoot the arrow. The thread will be wrapped around the shaft at the target.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:40:55 pm »
I am with Pat....Straight....with a slight offset...I cheat......I use an Arizona EZ Fletcher with a Straight Fletch....1* Offset.... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 12:38:19 pm »
Either way, you should get the arrow spinning.
I have a Jo-Jan with a straight, and a RW helical clamp. The helical is not bad on 11/32 and larger shafts, but it was a pain to set up on 5/16, for my daughter's arrows. So I set it back up with the straight clamp with an offset. That way I can just adjust it for either RW or LW feathers. Much less hassle and the arras fly great!

Offline paulc

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 12:40:42 pm »
What do you all mean by off set?  TIA  PC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 12:49:42 pm »
Offset is a straight fletch glued to the shaft on a diagonal or offset
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 09:16:55 pm »
I like helical or at least a good heavy offset. As far as left or right, it doesn't make any difference to me, I use both.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.