Author Topic: Type of bamboo?  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Swamp Bow

Type of bamboo?
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:26:21 am »
Are there certain types of bamboo that make good backing?  I realize that the larger diameter the better, but are only some species used.  I might have access to Bambusa vulgaris, B. vulgaris "vittata", and Dendrocalamus asper.  If I have the chance, should I snag some or not bother?

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Swamp Bow

Re: Type of bamboo?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:11:21 am »
Anyone?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 10:34:35 am »
Not sure about that variety, but Moso is a good one.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 10:39:53 am »
Heya Swamp Bow,

I've been experimenting with some, also.  I'm not sure the exact species - just been generically calling it Tonkin Cane.  It grows to about 60' with a 6" diameter, or so.  I've been learning to work it, but haven't figured it out as of yet.  Seems like the only way i'll get it perfectly flat at home is with the belt sander and I've read bad things about resperatory issues with the dust.  From what I understand and have asked before, 6 inch diameter is aout the minimum to work with.  That's as much as I know.  I guess though, you can use more than one strip, or laid on back side by side if needed.

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:30:15 am »
Jeffutley,
Thanks, not familiar with that one, but I can look it up.

Parnell,
Are you getting Tonkin locally?  Bamboo has a pretty high silica content, but I doubt it is really any more hazardous than breathing any fine particulate matter (being a potter I am keenly aware of that one).  It can be kind of hard on sharp cutting tools.   Then again so is ipe.  Wear a decent respirator, not just a dust mask when you work and you should be just fine.  Now I just need to follow my own advice more often  ;)   BTW I send back a response to your wife's question.

Swamp

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 11:45:58 am »
Whatever it is, then yes, locally.  I've found it growing behind a vacated property near a creek.  The stuff has gone absolutely wild.  I've been, well, 'acquiring' some of it. ;) ;D
1’—>1’

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 04:17:02 pm »
Tonkin doesn't actually grow to large diameters.
You can build a great bow from pretty small diameter bamboo. It is generally strong enough to deal with a crowned  back.

Offline acker

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 05:43:21 pm »
 the Bamboo is strong enough even in small diameters but you cant get it very thinn then, you want be able to flatten it enough.
So the belly wood will get into trouble because of the thick bambo layer on the back.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 06:56:25 pm »
 That theory has been thoroughly disproved if you are working with quality Ipe as the belly material.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 07:31:06 pm »
That theory has been thoroughly disproved if you are working with quality Ipe as the belly material.
You got that right Pat. I have a bow that the bamboo back is at least double the thickness of the Ipe belly. It shoots great and hasn't taken any set at all. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline acker

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 08:28:38 pm »
on Ipe , Massaranduba and  other very dens woods thats right of course but on the "normal" woods you want the Bamboo as flat as possibel .
I´ve build an elb Bamboo / Massaranduba 50 - 50 % and it is for sure a quit good shooter , bud i would never try such a thick backing on elm or ash ...that would be  >:D

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 08:36:07 pm »
The  other woods are usually available in stave form and perfectly adequate for self bows. When using Bamboo you might as well use woods that aren't available as staves and really shine when backed with bamboo. In that case you might as well use any bamboo available.
 I would far rather use a narrow bamboo pole for backing a piece of Ipe than searching for a huge piece in order to get a thin flat strip to back a softer wood.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 09:19:35 pm »
I wouldn't try boo on ash anyway. I would rather use hickory for that.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline knap_123

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 11:32:08 pm »
i cut some of this today here in central al.  i call this river cane but it might not be. grows taller than a house and you can find some bigger. will this work and how to prepare it?

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 12:10:53 am »
So, is there a specific type/species of bamboo(s) that is used for bow building, or do people just use whatever is on hand?

Knap,
Those are some good looking culms.  Let us know how they turn out.

Swamp