Author Topic: Ain't breaking em you ain't making em....  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Aries

Re: Ain't breaking em you ain't making em....
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 02:50:53 pm »
Its wild the way red oak snaps clean in two like that, ive had two bows do this, one was over drawn and the other was under massive stress and was rift sawn.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 09:08:57 pm »
I agree with Aires. I think you forced it,  Nate. Looks like  good grain on that board. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline NTD

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 09:34:59 pm »
Considering this happened  in exactly the same way on a second piece I am convince it was too dry.  As far as forcing I really doubt I did that as I never go above target weight during tillering.  The target weight of this bow was only 45lbs.  And I'm pretty ginger with my new bows during tillering.  I alway exercise them well and always pull them to draw weight 30 times after wood removal before I judge tiller.  I nurture my boards during the bow building process  ;) ;D  I turned out 3 d-bows previous to these two with near perfect tiller(according to you guys ;) ).  I got 4 pieces of red oak at the same time back in september.  I made 2 bows right away from those 4 peices.  One of those 2 was a 64" long 1" wide red oak drawn to 28" @41 lbs if any of them were overstrained it was that one.  These other 2 pieces sat in my entry way for the last 2 1/2 months.  I thought about the fact that we have entered the dries time of year in one of the driest states in the country and the wood was sitting in the driest/hottest part of my house.  When I made the first 2 we had just exited our monsoon season.  The suggestions of being dry makes sense to me.

So I will reevaluate how I store my bow wood from now on. 

As far as that Ipe, how long should I let it sit in a humid area to regain some MC before I start working on it?  How many showers should it take with me  :)??
Nate Danforth

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 12:21:21 am »
Hi Folks,
I'm coming around to believing  the oak was too dry and or over stressed.  If you try again with bamboo ipe I don't think you need to worry as much about the moisture level.
Ipe is very dense.  I wouldn't expect it to change moisture content very fast and a bamboo backing should be pretty strong even if dry.

Kyler.   Yes I'm a Husker born and raised, though I do live in CA now.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers