Author Topic: hunting in the rain...?  (Read 5794 times)

Offline paulc

hunting in the rain...?
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:24:41 pm »
How many of you take your wooden bows out in the rain?  Just how wet is too wet for your bow?

Offline Kegan

Re: hunting in the rain...?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 05:32:51 pm »
I have. Sinew backed white oak. Holds up pretty well for a little while, but it doesn't seem to shoot the same. Maybe my arrows are getting heavier too, I don't know. Either way, I don't shoot as well.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:02:22 pm »
I have been caught out in quite a few rain storms with my selfbow and had no problem. It isn't the rain that effects the bow but the humidity. You can protect a wood bow from rain but you can't protect a wood bow from humidity.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 07:08:24 pm »
A lot of our bow seasons in the Southwest coincide with the monsoon season so you better plan to get wet. It isn't unusual to get more rain in 2 hours than we have had in 6 months. I worry more about my strings and finger tabs than I do my bows.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 06:22:21 am »
Good point Pat. Being new to this bow world I haven't given moisture while hunting much thought. I will now.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 07:34:39 am »
Don't worry about the bow near as much as I do the blood trail,I don't bow hunt in the rain if I can help it for that reason.Especially in the early season when the woods are thick. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 09:45:26 am »
aint tried it. dont really want to. if its dry, i'll hunt. if it's rainy, i'll go hide in the shop and work on my shotgun or sharp point shaped glass things.  ;D
lets just shoot it

banoch

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 10:15:26 am »
Is there a "best finish" for staving off the effects of humidity? Does it depend on the wood? Tru-oil finish looks great and since a lot of folks gun hunt in the rain I assume that it protects the wood well

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 11:37:01 am »
I don't hunt in the rain....it gets me sinew all wet and the feathers on my arrows collapse....
Marietta, Georgia

Bluehawk

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 05:53:36 pm »
I'll hunt in the  rain if its  a  misty type or  off and on light drizzle   NOt in steady or down pour rain   NO BLOOD trail and tough on the equipment    Most rain I hunt in the feathers are fine with a light spray from the wifes unscented hair spray

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 05:58:15 pm »
Banoch, You don't want to completely seal your wood bows even if you could. The wood needs to breath...and as it is breathing it is taking on whatever moisture is in the air. The best you can do is try to stay out of the rain if possible and unbrace your bow as soon as possible when in wet conditions. If you get caught in a rain storm, dry off your bow as soon as you can and store it in a dry location when not in use.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 11:06:18 pm »
Wow  didn't  know that  Pat, thought  bows  were  completely  sealed,  wonder  if that  is  true  for the  evil fg also?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 04:28:30 pm by zeNBowyer »
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 11:41:49 pm »
It doesn't matter with the fg because it is not hygroscopic like wood is. The wood in a fg bow will be effected by humidity.

Offline smokeu

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 10:46:33 am »
I heated in bacon grease with a heat gun and then heated in a little bees wax, and then just rubbed on another coat of wax. I recoat it every few trips seems to be good and pretty resistant to the rain, and percipitation.  My fletching seems to suffer though!

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 10:43:39 pm »
I'm not near as bad as I use to be about  my self-made equipment getting wet. I don't worry about osage much,cause it's tough,although I still put a few extra coats of carnauba wax on them for insurance.But, I won't take my whitewood bows out unless it's nice and dry. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas