Author Topic: Cricket Hawk  (Read 5610 times)

Grunt

Cricket Hawk
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:39:19 pm »
Back in the dim beginnings of time when the primitive range was just getting started at Friendship In in the late 70's there was a man named Cricket Hulvey. Cricket started throwing a hawk at a target and competion was born and that was the beginning of tomahawk throwing at primitive events all across this land of ours. Cricket made his own hawks as there was no other source of throwing hawks he didn't make a lot of hawks. We lost him in the late 80's but his hawks live on. Now Cricket wouldn't just sell you a hawk right off, you had to spend some time with him and if he liked you you might get a chance to own one of his hawks. Cricket hawks were not forged and were not beautiful but man are they a joy to throw. I own three and one  has won me a pile of plunder including a Hudson Bay six point. The other two have only been thrown by Cricket. I am now in contact with Cricket's family and we are working out some sort of trade so the unthrown hawks can go back to the Hulveys. Here are some picts. Note the flats on the handle so it doesn't twist coming out of your hand. Cricket hawks have taken national championships.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Cricket Hawk
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 03:09:44 am »
Interesting story and great pics...thanks.
Reminds me of that film when I was a kid...Vikings? or somesuch with Tony Curtis? They were throwing axes into the castle door and then climing up 'em....all very Hollywood, be we wus just kids :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Mrs. Hillbilly

• I like broccoli
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 09:42:16 am »
Let me ask this question, what is the difference between a Tommy Hawk and a Hackett. Are they not almost the same size? It looks like the the pics that the hawk is a little smaller.  ??? Do you have any pics of a Hackett, to tell the difference?

Tina
What can I say - I'm a female?  That says it all.

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 05:07:08 pm »
Mrs Hillbilly, a tomahawk is a light axe used by Native Americans as a weapon and a tool. The word tomahawk comes from the Algonquian culture's word  tommahick. The tomahawk can be also a war club or a ceremonial object. A hatchet is simply a tool. A tomahawk can be a hatchet but a hatchet cannot be a tomahawk. Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:30:20 pm by Grunt »

brokenhand

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:16:33 pm »
    I haven't heard that name in awhile, but I knew Cricket back in them days and even competed throwing hawks with him. He was a good one, and made hawk throwing a real competition. He also made hawks for kids. One of the first hawks my younguns learned to throw was one of his. Hawkbow probably doesn't remember, but he threw a Cricket hawk when he was a youngun. It's good to hear a name from the past, thanks....Brokenhand.... Aho.

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 11:12:36 pm »
That's a  nice  distinction  but  I  have  a  little marble  hatchet that  makes  one  sweet tomahawke:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.