Author Topic: Sinew and short bow questions FULL BRACE AND TILLERING QUESTIONS  (Read 11165 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: Sinew and short bow questions PICS ADDED
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 11:40:48 am »
Well I cut the tips off just enough and now have about 5 inches or recurve...it brings the length down to 56"....overall I don't think it will change much on my bow's tiler...it will just be easier and should reduce my weight some.  Its profile reminds me a lot of the bow Ryano made for GregB earlier this year.

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 02:12:25 pm »
How much did you take off.  It will change the tiller a lot. You are removing a lot of leaver on the outside of the limbs. I think Marc is right. Maybe you should take out some of the recurve. The tips on this thing will still be pointing forward at full draw. In my opinion, you only need to have enough recurve to keep the string angle under 75-80* at full draw. Right now you will be way below that, probably closer to 35-45*.  I'm just thinking outloud, but if you think of the area outside of the curve in terms of an atlatl, you get better performance if the tips come back and the string angle is closer to 75-80*. Then as the tip turns over it flips the arrow at a super quick speed. Kind of like the flip of the wrist of a baseball throw.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 02:31:04 pm »
I trimmed off 2 inches on each tip...I'll be sure to post some new pictures tonight...

-Ky
GBR!

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: Sinew and short bow questions HALF BRACE PIC ADDED
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 03:16:56 pm »
been workin on it quite abit...got it to about 3-4 in brace...its pulling 45 @ 15 right now....thats about what i want at 28 so ive still got some work ahead of me....but so far it looks good to me...i need to get it bending more in the fades and take some off the tips yet

-Ky

[attachment deleted by admin]
GBR!

Offline Christophero

Re: Sinew and short bow questions HALF BRACE PIC ADDED
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 05:07:03 pm »
Those are alot of work but you are putting a valiant effort into it.
Looks as if the right limb is a bit stiffer out toward the bend.

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: Sinew and short bow questions FULL BRACE AND TILLERING QUESTIONS
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 04:41:45 pm »
Well I got it to full brace and It looks surprisingly good at full brace (7.25")  I have it tillered to about 20" right now and that is what the picture shows...its pulling about 43lbs at 20"....I would like some comments or pointers before I get it bending anymore...to me it looks alright but not perfect ( I think I see a hinge starting on the right limb about mid limb?? )....if everything looks good though...should I put sinew on it now and finish tillering to my desired weigh once the sinew is dry??

-Ky

[attachment deleted by admin]
GBR!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 07:17:56 pm »
Looks good man. Get that bad boy sinewed already. What is the relaxed profile like? If it is taking a little set I would pull the set out before you put the sinew on. No need to get carried away with trying to add reflex on such a shorty, but I would pull it back to straight and hold it until the sinew is dry. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 07:23:51 pm »
it looks like it is bending too much right off the right fade
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 08:32:28 pm »
How much more draw can I get out of this?

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 09:17:27 pm »
Tiller looks pretty good, a very small non bending area for the handle, and the string angles are nice. I would bet that with sinew you can the 28" you are after if you go carefull and slow on the tiller. What is the worst that can happen.  >:D

SW Utah

Offline J05H

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 12:26:55 am »
Very good work. I really like it. How far are you going to try to get it to pull?
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 12:52:42 pm »
Josh, after the sinew is dried (which i found out is 3-4 months at least) Im gonna be trying for at leas 26"....but I would like to get 28"

-Ky
GBR!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 04:09:08 pm »
I keep coming back to your thread and I keep my fingers crossed for your bow!
Now starts to look as if the bow could make it!
Frank from Germany...

Offline J05H

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 03:57:54 am »
Judging from your work so far, I really think its going to make a great bow.  When are you going to get started on the sinew?
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 07:51:59 am »
I have two layers on right now...Im going to put one more layer on in a week or so, and then Im planning on letting it dry until at least jan or feb...so Im looking at a good spring turkey bow..

-Ky
GBR!