Author Topic: yew recurve for father in law to be--full draw, finished pics  (Read 8552 times)

radius

yew recurve for father in law to be--full draw, finished pics
« on: October 02, 2009, 02:54:25 pm »
roped in, now.

Made a bow for Helen's brother in law, now her dad wants one.  Some kind of reverse dowry, he says.  And she says it can't be an ornamental one, either!  He wants to shoot.  Englishman.  So i pick through the pile and found this one, we'll see what i can do with it.  The ends were pretty clear so i recurved it, but the tip you see in this picture here actually has a knot running through it diagonally...and it STILL BENT!   This yew is awesome.  I've got a truckload of seasoned yew logs coming FOR FREE in about 3 weeks.  I am really stoked about that.  In the meantime, let's see if i can't impress my father in law to be.

As you can see, a branch was growing right out of the side of this one, so that became the handle area...we will see.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:49:19 pm by radius »

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: bow for father in law to be
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 03:38:51 pm »
Good luck on your bow for your father-in-law!!!  The one I made for my father is a pretty fast, fully functional bow it just isn't gonna see as much action in it's life as your father-in-laws.  I hope it works out well for you kinda weird about the handle area.   Keep us updated bro!!!   -josh  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:33:13 am »
father in Law... no problem. It's the Mother in Law you've got to impress :o ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 02:00:10 pm »
Pretty challenging piece. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

radius

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:11:25 pm »
Pretty challenging piece. :) Jawge

i like the challenge...yew challenges you...but it brings a lot to the table...i can do this

I can't wait to tiller it!  But i'm leaving town for 2 weeks to do a reno job on one of the gulf islands...no bowmaking for me for a couple weeks...time to shoot!

radius

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 01:47:29 pm »

argh...getting there...

this one needed some love with a heat gun to get the string tracking straight....i had it braced to a tight 4" or so, drawing 40# at 16, but when i shot an arrow through it the string wound up "beside" the top recurve. 

I made the recurves thick because yew LOVES to bend...so far so good, light and stiff...

The weird spot at the handle which is where the trunk branched has proved to be no problem, just a character handle, i love it.  Can't wait to get this one finished and into the hands of its intended owner.  The wife says he'll be like a little kid when he gets hold of it!  That should be hilarious!

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 04:08:00 pm »
Man that yew is something,I like your mind set ( I can do this ) believe you probably can.
Now is the good old days

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 07:57:24 pm »
Good day RADIUS if any one can take a scragly stick and make it work its u!!! Looking good looks a bit stiff in the tiller but I know ur not finished!!! As always good one mate!!!
CHEERS!!

radius

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 02:23:16 pm »
Good day RADIUS if any one can take a scragly stick and make it work its u!!! Looking good looks a bit stiff in the tiller but I know ur not finished!!! As always good one mate!!!
CHEERS!!

Thanks, bro! 

Here we go...(was busy last night...who says we can't drink and carve????)

Here's my roommate again, half-draw!

This bow was strange.  The upper limb is much thinner than the lower limb, but still stiffer when un-braced!  The tiller is pretty much there, though, and that's what counts.

Final specs:

50# @ 28" (super fast shooter, too, i wanna keep this one!)
64" nock to nock measured straight from curve to curve

approx 9/8" wide at the handle.

He's gonna love it!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: bow for father in law to be--full draw, finished pics
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 04:22:54 pm »
Good job Radius!!!  Wow you really cleaned up that messy looking piece of wood spectacularly!   Nice circular tiller too!     :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 04:44:55 pm »
Looks great.  I really like it.

Offline Dano

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 05:34:18 pm »
Nice lookin bow, but dang son!! them pictures make me dizzy, you got a rotate function on your computer?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 12:05:43 pm »
Almost missed this one. Great job on yew. Future FIL is lucky to have a bowyer in the family. Bookmarked for Oct Self BOM!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline bcbull

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 01:10:42 pm »
radius  you did a heck of a job on that piece  figured   ud  have a ton plms  cuz of the knots at first  but it looks real good ur tiller looks spot on   brock

radius

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 02:32:31 pm »
thanks everybody

brock, i don't find the knots too problematic, actually.  Yew works extremely fast with a rasp.  So you can take time with the knots, switch down to a finer file, get em done easy.  Also, i go through a fair amount of superglue, filling in cracks in the knots.  If there's a big knot on the very edge, with a hollow around it, i sometimes fill it with 5 minute epoxy.

I can see why yew has such a good reputation.  Wow.