Author Topic: t hawk  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Jaeger

t hawk
« on: October 02, 2009, 02:14:50 pm »
If one of you fellers had this you would complete it into a beautiful point but I chickened out and I am going to leave it alone and call it a tomahawk ,it is  the closest I have came to making a huge point without breakeage  so far!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:14:39 pm by Jaeger »

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: t hawk
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 02:20:30 pm »
I would just be happy to make one that big. It would be an awesome tomahawk
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:03:59 pm »
Hey Jaeger, I suggested on another thread about begging knappers to just make preforms  such as the one your showing an put it in a bucket an make another preform. Make them as thin as you can go an when you start getting stacks an problem areas quit . Every one wants to make a finish point but if you make preforms an put them away in 6 months go back thru your bucket of preforms an you will be amazed at how much you will be able to thin them an make a finish point. Did I do this naaa I just went ahead an tried to make a finish point an now have lots of destroyed material an a bunch of points that look like footballs. :>} What ever you do good luck an it looks as if your starting to get the hang of it. Good looking preform. Later Bob

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 07:31:44 pm »
looks good
keep goinf,its the only way to learn and after all this is a hobby of tonnage
i just started about 8 months ago,wrecked alot of rock and obsidion at first,still do
but i have learned alot,and can make a point just about any time i want now,size can be tricky yet
but you wont learn if yadont try
what bob said is god advise too,especially if ya have enought material to make a biface,then another and another
some of us folks live in areas where knappible material is more rare than a snake with 5 legs
so when i get some,i make points and baldes(or try too)and not just bi faces
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:13:21 pm »
nice one! ive gotta make an axe. knapped or ground... i gotta make one!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:21:45 pm »
Looking good.  Make an ax, a lot of preforms got used as tools.  They may look unfinished today, as far as the maker was concerned, he had the tool he wanted for the job he had to do.  Those "preforms" were ax heads, hoes, shovels, scrapers.  Hafting it and using it to clean a deer is a great idea.  And looking at your points in the background, you are getting good.  Don't worry, if you keep hitting rocks, thinness will come.  The more you hit, the thinner you will get them.  Bill 

Offline arappaho

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 11:08:48 pm »
Looks good to me,Jaeger. And so do the ones in the background of that pic.
What material is that? Living here in NC, where there's a lot of rhyolite, I do
a lot of what outbackbob suggested. I like just working on thinning and am
happy with a nice preform for now.
Joe

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 12:27:59 am »
I forgot to mention that you do have some fine looking work in the background.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 11:11:19 pm »
Nice man. I realy like big rock.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 08:37:40 pm »
I did what Bob (Outbackbob48) said.  It took me a lot of broken preforms but I finally took his advice and now I'm stopping when I need to stop.  Just to satisfy the point urge I'll work on some small flakes to make some points. 
Traverse City, MI