Author Topic: My Ipe scrap bow  (Read 3445 times)

Offline NTD

My Ipe scrap bow
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:01:07 am »
I posted last week about playing with a scrap piece of Ipe I had.  Here are some pics of my wife drawing it, a braced pic and an unbraced pic.  No that's not a beer belly on my wife, she's carrying a future bowyer  ;)

The bow is 48" draws 21# @ 24".  The wraps are dacron with superglue to hold down some splinters that popped up.  When I played with this I figured it would be such low poundage that it wouldn't need a backing...well I was wrong...either I really suck at making bows or Ipe really does not do well in dry climes without being back.  How do ya do it Justin??

I don't think the bow is going to make it...It keeps popping up splinters....So for fear of my wife bearing the brunt of an exploding bow that was her last draw on it ...oh well next bow :)

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline zeNBowyer

Re: My Ipe scrap bow
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 12:09:57 am »
I  see  IPE  sets  a fair  amount
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 06:39:39 am »
Put a silk or linen backing on it and it should be just fine :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 04:35:57 pm »
Neat looking bow. More importantly, congratulations to you and your wife!

NAT

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 04:47:17 pm »
I can honestly say ive never seen an ipe, unbacked bow. 

By the way, congrats on the bun in the oven.

"zeNBowyer 

I  see  IPE  sets  a fair  amount "

Usually, IPE has very little set.  I can only assume the light weight of this bow, plus the touchness of ipe with out a backing, is what created the set.  I get very little set at all with Ipe.  I love the stuff for that reason.  Plus the density.  You can make thin bows with ipe due to its density.

nickf

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 05:20:42 pm »
zen, please think again.

48" long, drawn to 24", taking an inch or so set.

this is ridiciously low compared to other woods.

Nick

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 07:14:10 pm »
Dana- I don't have any silk or linen on hand but I threw some rawhide on it last night.  I'll post pics of the finished bow later.  I'm sure the rawhide will slow it down a bit but it sure should bullet proof it  ;D

Nathan- Thanks for the congrats, it's our first and I'm quite excited. 

Kent D. - Check out this unbacked IPE....My all time favorite bow I've seen posted on PA http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5313.0.html

NickF- That's what I figured.  Also this piece is only 3/4" wide...I know that most woods done like this would have set quite a bit more.

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:54:25 pm »
Nate, I'm glad you like the bow.  ;D I actually think that oily woods are good for dry climate since they don't dry out as easily. Picking a board that will make a selfbow is difficult when you can see the grain. As difficult as it can be to see the grain in Ipe, a selfbow is really difficult. I think you did great considering the NTN length and draw length. You are seriously bending that wood. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 03:00:44 pm »

Kent D. - Check out this unbacked IPE....My all time favorite bow I've seen posted on PA http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5313.0.html

Excellent looking bow. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 09:40:55 pm »
Very nice bow and a very special congratulations to you and your wife. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!