Author Topic: Bow for my father  (Read 6322 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Bow for my father
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:33:27 am »
     Well ever since I started making  bows around a year ago my father has been wanting me to make him one.  I kept putting it off and putting it off and I finally decided it was time to make him his bow.  He is so proud of me and what I do he tells anybody and everybody that will listen about his son and the bows and knives I make.  I feel really bad for not making him one sooner, but I really wanted to get my hunting gear made first as this will be my first year hunting trad/primitive.  Heck it will be my first time hunting with a bow.  I plan to use my snakey osage bow I posted last month.  (the one with the triangles?) 
     My father will probably never shoot this bow as he is disabled  and blind in his shooting eye  from a car wreck but it should fit right in with his Native American decor/relics.  He mainly just wanted a wall-hanger but I wanted to make one that if he ever decided to take it down and string it up and shoot it, it would be up to the task. 
    The bow is a pyramid design, (a first for me)  2"at fades tapering straight to 1/4" 5/16" nocks.  62" NtN.  Zebrawood and Purpleheart for the handle riser, and Purpleheart with a hint of Zebrawood for the tip overlays.  This bow lays FLAT after unstringing it which is rare for me with red oak. It usually takes 2 inches of stringfollow but before final tiller on this one I heated around 3 inches of reflex into the limbs.  ;D The bow is 48lbs at 28"  I didn't wrap the handle or paint on this one because my father said "I wanna be able to see the wood, no fancy paint jobs or handle wraps on mine".    Tiller looks a little off to me in the pictures, but I really like the way it shoots and like I said before, it will probably spend most of its life on a wall.  Hope you guys like it, thanks for looking!    :) :) -josh

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:25:36 am by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

Re: Bow for my father
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:39:29 am »
here's the rest...

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:50:04 am by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:04:09 am »
Looks Good Josh....and I understand the Father Thing too! My Dad is 70....and He still Shows and Tells anyone who will listen about the Knives....Bows and Leatherwork that I do.....He does nothing but Brag on Me....so get ready for a lot more Bragging on You!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 03:52:08 am »
Josh, that's a really nice arc on that bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 05:22:06 am »
Nice tiller and very nice finish work.I like it all. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TBod

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 05:52:33 am »
Good job!

So thats how an arc of a circle tiller looks like! Nice. (I think I got more of Holmegard tiller on my pyramid bow)

Are the tips really 0,25 " (6,25 mm) I don't have the nerve to make so narrow yet, but I want to..

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 06:14:12 am »
Josh
Nice bow,  I'm sure you made your father very happy with it. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 07:23:06 am »
Josh,
I'm sure your father will be both pleased with this bow and proud of it's origin. Nice job. And good luck with your first primitive hunts. There is nothing quite like doing it plain and simple.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 07:38:59 am »
That's a great job on your dad's bow, and definitely time and effort you'll never regret! I wish I'd been able to do the same for my father...

Best of luck on hunting this fall with your primitive equipment...remember, aim small miss small! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 07:43:23 am »
Bows for family members are always special.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline kerryb

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 08:45:33 am »
very nice, im sure your dad is very proud of that fine bow
Milan Mo

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 09:05:57 am »
Very nice Josh,  wish my dad was still around to do the same, also.  Enjoy the opportunity.
1’—>1’

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 09:41:44 am »
Beautiful bow! Tiller is excellent. I'm sure your father will love it dump. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 10:01:06 am »
Thanks for all the nice compliments guys!!  Really means alot coming from such great bowyers too.   :)  :)

Tbod, the tips are more like 5/16ths and inside the string grooves are 1/4"  I really don't know the correct place to measure the tips at.   They are definitely the narrowest I have ever went with them.   Thanks again for looking everyone!      :) -josh

Offline Josh

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 10:53:05 am »
Beautiful bow! Tiller is excellent. I'm sure your father will love it dump. Jawge
dump?   ;D  -josh