Author Topic: Osage farm  (Read 6272 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage farm
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 11:21:19 pm »
    Wade gave me two osage saplings at the 2008 camp-o-rama. I planted both but only one survived.  ???  That one has done well this first year after it's transplanting and I expect it to do well from now on...right next to the creek in well drained soil. It better hurry up if I'm gonna make a bow in my lifetime. I don't believe I can make 20 years but probably 10! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 11:37:53 pm »
Eddie.....they grow here in the 120 degree heat....but they grow very slow also...can't barely distinguish the Rings in Panhandle Osage! Hey you want to talk about slow growing....that Boo that you sent Me....grew two new Shoots this Year....it's a whole of 29 inches tall....and I now have 7 shoots....I don't believe I will be making Arrows from it in My Lifetime...... ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline broad_head

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 03:21:08 am »
Hi Bob
          Long time no see!!!!!
                                           I have one of Marks original sapling growing in my garden it is about 6 feet to the tip of the tallest branch, trunk/stem is about 1 inch. Looks to be growing quite, well so have high hopes that Osage will do well here.
                                  Hows the bow making going? Hope to see you at a shoot some day.
                                                                                                                                    Peter (UK)

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 09:09:10 am »
Hedge trees are overunning my neighbor's pastures.
Most are pretty shrubby tho... I find the best ones for bows grow in the woods where they need to be straight to get the sun light.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 09:40:23 am »
I planted a lot of osage years ago. I would first sprout the seeds in a planter box, transfer the seedlings to a gallon pot and let the seedlings grow for a year. The crooked and twisted seedlings would be pretty obvious after a year of growth. I would keep the straight saplings and discard the rest. I sold and gave away a lot of saplings while I was interested in producing seedlings, but I burned out on the process after a few years.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 05:02:35 pm »
Hi Bob
          Long time no see!!!!!
                                           I have one of Marks original sapling growing in my garden it is about 6 feet to the tip of the tallest branch, trunk/stem is about 1 inch. Looks to be growing quite, well so have high hopes that Osage will do well here.
                                  Hows the bow making going? Hope to see you at a shoot some day.
                                                                                                                                    Peter (UK)
Hi Peter,

Yes, its been a while, hope you are well. Sounds like your osage is doing better than mine then, but I kept mine in a container for the first couple of years to avoid the frosts of winter.  It has been planted out for 3 years or so now, and is flourishing.  I think I'll give it a few years yet then  ;)  I havent made a lot of bows, but my latest is a BBO recurve, my first non-straight limbed bow.  You can see it over on the "Build Alongs and How-Tos" section, see:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,14045.0.html
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 06:59:12 pm »
Eddie, it grows here with super hot temps and no rain so it should grow there. Try it in different soil. Or maybe it is too young for Florida. Its too bad it wont grow old up north then migrate down to see you like the people do.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah