Author Topic: Osage farm  (Read 6286 times)

Offline Little John

Osage farm
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:39:04 pm »
Just wondering if any one has planted or pondered planting a stand of osage trees for future profit or for posterity. Looks like if someone had a little chunk of land and wanted to do the work he could soon have an osage forest, just keep pruned and watered and in 15-20 years could have hundreds of premium staves. I might do just a few as not really enough water to do a bunch. I think they can stand northern or southern climates.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline avcase

Re: Osage farm
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 12:34:51 am »
The trees I planted from seed 5 years ago and the trees are already big enough to make bows.  These trees can grow frighteningly fast!
-Alan

wannabe

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:00:33 am »
Do they grow in extreme NW Minnesota?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:45:28 am »
How about S Florida with no real freeze?
1’—>1’

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 08:50:14 am »
What about sandy areas?...Ive got some land to plant but its pretty sandy stuff

-Ky
GBR!

Offline broad_head

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:48:52 am »
Hi All
        I live in the UK and have started to grow osage, most are only about 18 inches high, so I have a while to go before I have bow staves. The winter frost kills about 3 inches of each branch tip, but this does not stop it from regrowing in the spring. The plan is to get it established in the UK but at this stage I am not sure how well it will do in our climate. I would be interested to know if any mature osage is growing here?
PS There is an intersting thread on paleo plannet about growing trees/bow wood.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Peter.

wannabe

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:35:53 am »
Well, I looked up Maclura pomifera (Osage Orange) and found that it grows in USDA Hardiness zones 5-9. I'm in zone 2-3. Maybe I could graft a stem onto a tree root that's hardy for our area.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 02:01:06 pm »
I planted 170 trees.  ;D Not all trees are created equal. It grows different in different climates and the density/quality of the wood is different.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline knap_123

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 04:26:33 pm »
i've been planteing in the soil around creeks and rivers.  it seems to like it here quite well in central al. it grows like crazy 1 hr. south of me and north al.  i see a future were the big fruits fall in a FLOODED CREEK, GET SWEPT DOWN FARTHEr and start all over again.  sometimes i'll drive with my window down aND TOSS OUT SEEDS IN GOOD LOOKING SPOTS.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 04:31:37 pm »
so where can a fella get a handful of osage seeds?
45# at 27"

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 08:53:25 pm »
Hi Peter,

I bought an osage sapling from MarkinEngland, and it's now up to about 5 feet.  Growing well in my overcrowded back garden. I'll give it another 5-10 years and there might be something useful there  ;D
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:04:45 pm »
Get the seeds from those green "hedge apples" you see on em.  They seem to grow darn well in Kansas and Arkansas. 

Offline knap_123

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:52:29 pm »
whats your address and i'll send you a orange

Offline sulphur

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 10:18:01 pm »
remember everybody, if osage does grow well when you transplant it it can quickly take over.  it grows like weeds in east tex and can ruin pastures in a hurry.  all those thorns and tennis balls can get real annoying if planted close to your yard.  just a few things to keep in mind :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:42:14 pm »
 I've got probally the only two growing in Central Florida, next to the Ipe tree. The Osage is 4 years old and not much taller than the 24"when I planted it. Lots of fertilizer and rain but not much growth. I think it's too hot here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?