Author Topic: red osire  (Read 4572 times)

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
red osire
« on: September 29, 2009, 09:49:05 pm »
i would like to know how good of a arrow material red osier is i found a web sight that sells seedlings and according to the zone chart it should grow here in east Texas
if so what is the seasoning procedure
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: red osire
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:11:16 pm »
                           Ask DanaM....he likes it for Arrows....grows wild all over The Upper Peninsula of Michigan
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:24:37 pm »
It's a pretty good arrow shaft material. I usually cut any dogwood and leave the bark on for a month or two-it's bad to split and check if you peel it immediately. You should have rough-twig dogwood (Cornus drummondii) in east TX, and maybe silky dogwood as well (C. amomum.) Both are very similar and closely related to red osier dogwood and were used by tribes in the areas they grow in. I think the Comanches used rough-leaf dogwood a lot.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:16:56 pm »
Red osier makes great arrows...and nice landscape plants. What could be better than having a few specimen plants that need pruning every year and you can make your arrows with what you cut off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:29:21 pm »
pat---hillbilly thanks i will buy some red and look for rough twig

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:44:04 am »
Red osier is pretty good, Hillbilly I debark asap and never had any splitting problems. I like to cut my shoot shafts
so the fat end is around 1/2" diameter as it will shrink as it dries and so I have extra wood so I can reduce it to the
desired spine.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 09:58:27 pm »
crivercat,have you tried switchcane yet? Once you do ,you'll never build arrows from anything else.It's incredible ;),and all over our part of the country.You can finds heaps of it in the sulfur or sabine river bottoms. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline xin

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 10:28:03 am »
Criverkat, Take highway 82 East of TK and you'll find a lifetimes supply of rivercane growing along the highway.  Take Interstate 30 toward Little Rock and you'll find switchcane growing along the highway.  Rivercane and switchcane are the premier arrow shafting materials. ..  Everything considered they are the best materials that can be had and you are living in the center of the best places I know  to collect it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:24:48 pm by xin »

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 12:24:16 pm »
how far out on 82 and on 30 and do you live around here or do you travel this area do you have pics to show difference between the two

THANKS  DAVID

Offline xin

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 12:35:10 pm »
On I-30 not far past Red River going toward Little Rock.  It's grows on the Northbound and south bound sides of the road.  On highway 82 east go until it starts to drop into the Red River flood plane.  I gueuess its about 5 miles from the city limits, that's just a guess..  It also  grows all along the rier in the flood plane.  My family is from Stamps and I grew up in Haynesville, La.  Now live in Sherman, Tx.  Pass by all  this cane coming back for visits.  It is by far the best shafting  material on the planet.  It is far superior to red ossier.  I wouldn't even bother with the red ossier with all the good stuff you've got growing  there already.  You're in a great place for bow material and shafting material and Novaculite is just north of you.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 12:41:14 pm »
Switch cane grows to about 6' on average and has an average base diameter of about 1/2" or less. River cane, on the other hand can grow to 12" to 15" with an average base size of 3/4" or less but can be larger.
 I'd have to respectfully disagree with Xin about the red osier. It makes great shafting and if available is worth messing with. I have hill cane growing along my driveway and make arrows with it but I also make arrows with sourwood, red osier, silky dogwood, viburnum and other hardwood shoots. Knowing how to make arrows with any of these materials is worthwhile and not at all a waste of time. Knowledge is power! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 12:51:49 pm »
ive used red osier,cane,and some type of rose i got in a trade
liked them all
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 04:35:51 pm »
thanks pat i guess i have been cutting switch cane how long does it take to seasone my cane is bundled and has been cut about two months

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 04:43:54 pm »
It should be ready to work. As you heat to straighten and again to temper you will drive out any residual moisture. I've made good arrows with cane that was cut a month or 2 before.

Offline xin

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 09:32:48 pm »
Red Ossier doesn't grow around our friend in Texarkana.  Switch cane and river cane grows in abundance all around there.  You should begin  to feel more empowered at any moment now.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:41:22 pm by xin »