Author Topic: First set of shafts (help?)  (Read 1832 times)

Offline dogleg

First set of shafts (help?)
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:22:56 pm »
I'm sure this is probably on here, somewhere, but I get lost with all the good info.

I just cut eight water-shoots off a friend's lilac bushes, to use as my first set of primitive arrows.  They range from just over 3/8" to about 3/4" in diameter.  Can some one tell me if I can plane these down to the correct size, and just what would you guys recomend as an abd-123 drying procedure?  Any help is appreciated.

Sorry if you're sick of repeating all this, but I found this site about a week ago, and if I surf any more, I may be in danger of my eyeballs shrivelling and falling out.  Talk about a great site. :P

dogleg
Mayflies live for just one day.  Some days, it rains.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First set of shafts (help?)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 11:48:40 pm »
DogLeg, I haven't used lilac but with other shoot shafts that I have used I've had to plane them down to the proper diameter or spine. I use a simple, cheap thumb plane from Ace Hdwre
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

Re: First set of shafts (help?)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 07:51:31 am »
Lilac will check while drying so I would leave the bark on and bundle them up to dry. After drying there should be no problem planing them down to size.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI