Author Topic: CAN'T SLEEP RANT!!!  (Read 2128 times)

Offline RyanY

CAN'T SLEEP RANT!!!
« on: September 28, 2009, 03:49:22 am »
I can't sleep because all I can think about is bow making so here's a rant.

So this past weekend I went to the Renaissance festival and there was a longbow competition. I never really shoot but I thought I would go and try my best just for fun. Well I ended up winning first place in all three events in the wood arrow category (HUGE SURPRISE!). Well I was able to see how well my bow performed against other wood and fiberglass bows and I was really happy with the cast it was getting compared to others. So now all I can think about is making another bow! Here are the things that are bothering me about my bow making:

1st - I have two friends that I wanted to help make their own bow but I haven't really made any attempt at getting a hold of them to do this. I have a bow roughed out for each of them but I have stuff I want to work on too. If I didn't I would just make their bows for them because I don't think they care either way.
2nd - I always have a million ideas in my head! I have the profile roughed out on my second tri-lam elb, a bow blank glued up for another tri-lam elb that will be heavier than the first two (already finished one). I have a hickory stave thats not long enough that I want to split into billets but I'm not sure how I'm going to splice them without a band saw and I want to make a sweet holmegaard if the limbs are wide enough. Finally I have a piece of hickory and purpleheart I want to make into my first reflex-deflex but I'm not sure how I should go about it because I don't have a band saw.
3rd - Lastly, and the thing thats bothering me the most, is that I'm stuck at college. Although I live fairly close to my home I really don't have time to come home on weekends with marching band and if I do come home I like to spend time with my girl.

I guess there are other things I should be thinking of, like how I'm going to pass my social studies exam on Wednesday but thats for another forum. I would really like to hear about your bow making ideas, future projects or ways of making bows away from home. I'm really sorry if some of you find this post annoying. I know there are bigger problems in the world than what keeps me up at night but I guess it just shows how much I love this hobby we all share.

Offline possum

Re: CAN'T SLEEP RANT!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:12:34 am »
I only an idea for number 3.  Spend time with your girl... making bows or shooting bows. :D
I have the same problem with number two... so many different projects although I do have a bandsaw I don't have the time.
possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 01:02:15 pm »
#1, The squeaky wheel gets the get the oil.  Sounds like your friends need to decide if they really want this.  Right now it sounds like they don't really.  Now if you just want an excuse to make more bows that's just fine, but it sounds like you have plenty do already.  I'd tell them to let you know when they are ready, and then bury the staves (out of sight, out of mind).  If they get back with you, great, if they don't wait for a reasonable time and then ask if they mind if you go ahead and use the staves for another project.  Tell them that they can have another stave later if they want.  I've been in your place many, many times with all sorts of things.  Now days I tell people to remind me, or I'll forget.  That way it's on them, and I don't feel bad.

#2 Get a copy of The Wood Wright's Shop series by Roy Underhill.  Check your local used book stores and libraries. They've been joining wood with hand tools since prehistoric times.  I'm not saying it is easy, or won't take practice, but most of the fancy fun shop tools we use are not really necessary, and just like making a bow from scratch, it's fun to say "I did that!".

#3 You have a very important job: SCHOOL!  The girl may or may not be there in the future, only way to find out is to spend time with her. SCHOOL! I can say if you don't spend the time, she probably won't be there for long.  SCHOOL! Those staves will be be there for the rest of you life ready to be worked on if stored properly.  Oh did I mention SCHOOL!?

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 04:01:18 pm »
Lol. 

Enjoy the college years.  Have fun.  When you are home, have fun.  Dont make bow making a life of death situation.  Enjoy life, enjoy bow making. 

Enjoy now, because life gets more hecktic.