Author Topic: Casualty--54" oak recurve died on its way to the hospital  (Read 3448 times)

radius

Casualty--54" oak recurve died on its way to the hospital
« on: September 26, 2009, 05:27:07 pm »
can't win em all i guess...i took Dano and Sailordad's advice, and did most of my tillering work toward the ends of this bow but it broke anyway...maybe with a very thin backing of hickory...?   i bought some silk for backing but i think it is ugly.  oh god to have my workshop back...even the workshop under the stairs

so...it cracked big but did not break.  I CA'd it back together...it is still salvageable as art...maybe even as a bow with a sixteenth of hickory on the back...?

Offline Dano

Re: Casualty--54" oak recurve died on its way to the hospital
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 06:52:40 pm »
My condolences for your loss, the bow and your shop. "If you ain't breakin em you ain't makin em." I heard a friend say that a few times. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 07:02:24 pm »
[Taps  playing softly.....]
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 07:07:51 pm »
Sorry 'bout that-but it happens. 54" is mighty, mighty, short, especially for oak.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 11:41:48 pm »
my rawhide backed osage snake (thanks again woodstick) is 54 and a half i think. REALLY short bow.
lets just shoot it

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 09:55:38 am »

Offline woodstick

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 11:39:42 am »
glad to see it still working for ya rs. sorry to hear bout the broke bow, but we all learn from things like that next one will be great. keep it up and show pics of the next one.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

radius

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 01:04:41 pm »
Sorry 'bout that-but it happens. 54" is mighty, mighty, short, especially for oak.

right you are...i was just experimenting, it's okay

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 08:15:14 pm »
A 54" recurve made of a unbacked board of any type of wood is pushing your luck.  Highly stressed designs should be made from high quality staves with a good single ring chased on the back. Even hickory won't stand up to grain violations when used in a highly stressed design like that. Been there done that......if your looking to make a backed bow I'd sugest bamboo on the back or a hickory or ash backing with one ring chased on the back like Marc uses.....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

radius

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 01:10:24 pm »
A 54" recurve made of a unbacked board of any type of wood is pushing your luck.  Highly stressed designs should be made from high quality staves with a good single ring chased on the back. Even hickory won't stand up to grain violations when used in a highly stressed design like that. Been there done that......if your looking to make a backed bow I'd sugest bamboo on the back or a hickory or ash backing with one ring chased on the back like Marc uses.....

Should i recurve the backing strip separately, and then glue the two pieces together?  Or just force the thin backing strip into place on the recurved stave?

I love the recurves.  Faster than the holmegaards, unquestionably, for the draw weight. 

hmm...