Author Topic: 66" oak recurve  (Read 2372 times)

radius

66" oak recurve
« on: September 25, 2009, 06:45:19 pm »
this one is tillered to full draw, 44# @ 26"

after recurving it, i used heat to bend deflex into it, meaning that this bow requires a higher brace height than i'm used to in order to get the string nice and taut...about 8"...

this one shows how the belly cambers in when you heat treat it...i'll bet Marc St.Louis discovered this in the same way...hitting it with a scraper and seeing the center stay untouched...

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Re: 66" oak recurve
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 11:10:50 am »
Another fine recurve by radius and bookmarked for Sept Self Bow of the Month. If you touch up any of these recurves, handle wraps, etc., Let me know.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

radius

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 05:08:46 pm »
Oldbow, thanks...i don't usually go for handle wraps, but i have finished these two recurves up...

here's some final pics...

The last few pics show the size and shape difference of the two recurves i just made (the ones that didn't break!) ... here you can see the minimal string follow in the little one, and the way the d/r bow kept its cooked-in shape...

radius

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 05:10:45 pm »
also!  you can see the fuzzy stuff on the rosewood tip...i don't know why, but the tru oil wouldn't cure out on the rosewood...????

tru oil makes stuff look cool, but i don't like how it congeals in the bottle, even if i store it upside down like Gordon said!

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 07:01:42 pm »
Lookin good, did you de-grease the rosewood before finish? A coat of CA or shellac will help, before you apply Tru Oil. About the only way I've found to get all the use out of tru oil is use it up fast, still a great finish.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 11:40:27 pm »
thats the frist belly-overlays i have seen. i like it alot. great work.  ;D
lets just shoot it

radius

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 01:12:46 pm »
i didn't degrease it, no...in fact i wet sanded the whole thing up to 600 grit with tung oil before applying the tru oil...works great on the oak itself