Author Topic: 60" oak recurve, full draw  (Read 5074 times)

radius

60" oak recurve, full draw
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:48:56 pm »

this one is 60" OAL, static recurves, 44# @ 26" draw...a fast bow...very smooth to draw and comfortable in the hand
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 06:19:02 pm by radius »

VenomBOWslinger

Re: oak recurve, full draw
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:13:45 pm »
I just got done posting about ur Holmegaard and I see this...great work and tiller I'll get there I need a few more tools ex.bandsaw and waitin on a new drawknife cant wait!!!! RADIUS ur the man keep it up!!!
CHEERS!!!

radius

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:22:49 pm »
dude, the little ryobi bandsaw is super cheap and works great for bow making...

if you buy boards for bowmaking, you get the benefit of no knots and so on, but you have to be choosy with the grain...watch the natural tendency of the board to warp and twist, cup and bow...

if you recurve, DO NOT USE THE RIFT SAWN SECTIONS.  The straight up quarter cut section bent fine, with minimal cracking.  Plain sawn (or simply, staves) bend well, too, from what i see on here.  But the rift sawn sections (grain running at 45 degrees) present too much stress and even though i prepared the rift sawn stave the most (made it thinnest, cleaned up the rough edges most) it cracked the worst.

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 03:31:51 pm »
You've been tillering holmey's too much. ::) All the work is going on in the inner limbs.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

radius

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:33:56 pm »
You've been tillering holmey's too much. ::) All the work is going on in the inner limbs.

actually Dano, when you slowly draw it on the tiller tree, you can see the whole thing bending, even if slightly...it's true, though , i definitely tried to stay away from the tips, because i didn't want the belly underlays to pop off!

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 04:07:09 pm »
Another great looking bow.  You sure do pump them out. 

Heck, Im trying to finish up my hunting bow for this season.  Got two weeks left till opening day.  I think ill get it done.  If not, there are always my other bows. ;)

radius

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 05:46:33 pm »
i do crank em out when i get rolling yeah, but then i won't make a single bow for months on end...i've got 3 recurves coming right now, too, plus a yew longbow...

this recurve and the 66" recurve are done, tillered in, tru oil's curing...i'll show ya soon...

thanks for the good words, guys...can you believe my roommate thinks this is cool?????????

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 05:53:46 pm »
i agree with dano
all the work is in the iner limbs
but does look decent,hows it shoot?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 06:07:28 pm »
.. plus a yew longbow...
Oooooh me too, just started chopping out a Yew longbow from a stave I cut in March, I'll get it to floor tiller than leave it some more.
I tend to only have one on the go at a time, but I shall start my stave harvesting soon  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

radius

Re: 60" oak recurve, full draw
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 06:24:21 pm »

okay okay you guys are right...i really tried to stay out of there, though, while not getting to close to the belly underlays...

this pic shows the handle of one of the holmies (all them handles were the same) compared to the handle of this bow...

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 08:44:19 pm »
Howdy Radius,

Hey, I have another 60 in. Red Oak board with good grain running very straight on the sides and edges.  (It appears to be plain sawn.)

Do you think I could put one of these together that can handle a 28" draw, with 45+ lb.s?

If so, what limb widths should I go with?  And, does this bow bend through the handle at all?

I know from another post that I should leave the recurved section thicker until after it's heat bent, but I don't know how much thicker?

Thanks,
canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 11:07:37 am »
Got your nifty weapon bookmarked for Sept BOM fun :)
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

radius

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 05:15:09 pm »
Howdy Radius,

Hey, I have another 60 in. Red Oak board with good grain running very straight on the sides and edges.  (It appears to be plain sawn.)

Do you think I could put one of these together that can handle a 28" draw, with 45+ lb.s?

If so, what limb widths should I go with?  And, does this bow bend through the handle at all?

I know from another post that I should leave the recurved section thicker until after it's heat bent, but I don't know how much thicker?

Thanks,
canoe

Well, sir, i think you should go for it!  And maybe you'll do like these guys say, and make it bend more in the outer limbs, hahaha. 

I recurved these things all at different thicknesses, and they all cracked, even if i boiled them for an HOUR.  Once a long time ago  i made a red oak recurve, boiled again, and that came out well...can't remember how thick.

Just get cracking and let's see what you come up with, amigo.

Scott

radius

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 05:17:22 pm »
more pics

i really love the grain and the pith rays in this wood, which is also sometimes called golden oak.  Using the tru oil, you can really see why.  Overkill on the tip underlays, but i still like this one alot, the arrows really strain to fly off the string...yes, even just in my apartment. 

radius

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 02:35:23 pm »
here's a couple funny pics for ya