Author Topic: Looking for best bow wood in PA  (Read 5689 times)

lungbuster

Looking for best bow wood in PA
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:51:47 am »
iam living here in the eastern PA,i like to cut my own wood,iam still having trouble chooseing the rite wood yet.
does anyone no what the best wood is around here for me to be useing for a ELB,or a flate bow,
and if i make a flat bow should my handle bend in the middle or not,or should i use a nice stiff handle?????

VenomBOWslinger

Re: Looking for best bow wood in PA
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 08:31:15 am »
I am just north of U living on the northeren border of PA and the species are relitively the same.  In my opinion ur best bet would find some hickory, ash, white oak,....u can also look up a species guide for ur area and if u are not familiar u can either ask a local logger or get a book from a library!  If u chose to wing it i would recomend sticking with what u know and what works best for u!  I myself am different and like to step out of the traditional relm once in awhile and hack down a shrub just to see how well it works!!! ANYHOO hope u can get something out of that!!!
CHEERS!!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 08:44:01 am »
White ash, elm, hickory, hard maple, black locust, red or white oak, mulberry, hackberry, apple, plum, walnut and many others :)
All will make a bow with the right design, rigid handle or a bend in handle D bow its up to you.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Postman

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 09:10:41 am »
There's plenty of osage up there - i went to Shippensburg and the old farm areas that have been developed have it - look for the brainlike "oranges" this fall/winter.i have seen it cut on the side of roads when they work on them
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 12:34:05 pm »
Man I wish they had OSAGE here Im a bit further North I live next to the OCC (orange county chopper) the one on tv father and son...and WOODSTOCK....point is this area has been logged many times over u cant find alot of native species so when I posted about hickory that was like christmas!  PA is so big and vast there probably still trees growing that are well over 200 years.  Any way good luck Lungbuster u aint got no worries when it comes to finding bow material  open ur door or go down to the lumber mill or yard!!! ;)

Offline richpierce

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 01:14:07 pm »
There's black locust everywhere there and it's a great bow wood.

Bluehawk

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 02:41:54 pm »
I aim in S.E.  Pa  ther eis a lot of Osage in this area along with locust  and some hickory up north     look at the old farms   along the lanes for the osage

Offline stallion27

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 03:10:30 pm »
Where I am from, near Erie PA, there is loads of hickory and ash. When I go home to visit I always stop at a local saw mill and get a few hickory and ash boards. I can never find Hickory anywhere down here in Delaware.
Nothing compares to the mystical flight of the arrow.

Offline yazoo

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 04:30:37 pm »
osage is for bows
hickory is for ax handles
ash is for ball bats
mullberry makes good jelly
red oak is for rocking chairs
white oak is for whisky barrels
red cedar smells good
ipe is for back decks
locust is for fence post