Author Topic: Playing with Ipe  (Read 1439 times)

Offline NTD

Playing with Ipe
« on: September 23, 2009, 04:02:49 am »
When I picked up some Ipe last week I had a small piece of scrap left over.  Figuring that I had made a servicable bow from my last piece of Red Oak scrap, I decided to give this scrap piece a try.  It was 3/4" wide and 1/2" thick.  I decided to make a short 20lb bow that would draw 24" since my preggo wife is having a hard time drawing the 30 lb bow I made her last week. 

I cut the scrap to 48" and kept the 3/4" till mid limb and tapered to 3/8" nocks.  I do have to say you have to remove a lot of wood to make ipe bend...all I can say is wow.  I got the bow bending nicely and had it drawing to 23" when 2 splinters popped up on the back....guess I should have listened to what everyone said about backing Ipe in a dry climate LOL.  I superglued the splinters and wrapped Dacron around the limb over the splinters.  I finished taking some wood off to get the bow to 24", it is 21lbs @24" and suprisingly shoots quite fast for such a light weight bow.  I'm thinking of doing some dacron wraps saturated with superglue every few inches on the limbs to hold any future splinters down.  It's late so I will get some pictures to you guys tomorrow.

I'm glad I played with the scrap! I think I learned some things about the wood so I can better work with it when I start with the boo backed boards.

Thanks for listening to my mindless dribble guys.

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Playing with Ipe
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:25:45 am »
Sounds like you are having fun.. ;)