Author Topic: Glue to attach trade points to rose shoots  (Read 3175 times)

Offline tgr

Glue to attach trade points to rose shoots
« on: September 19, 2009, 11:08:35 am »
Just a quick question. I had been using Gorilla Glue. Sometimes the trade points fall off.  I've tied them on with a synthetic "sinew" from a craft store down an inch. 
Thanks for the input.

Tom

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Glue to attach trade points to rose shoots
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 11:23:45 am »
If you aren't going to use Pine Pitch Glue and Sinew....and go traditional...then why waste the Time with Gorilla Glue....Gorilla Glue foams as it starts to Expand...leaving Air Bubbles in the Glue Joint....So if I were You.....I'd get a good two part epoxy glue and set them in there to stay...not too many Glues will stick great to both Wood and Steel the same...so I would get epoxy and set them...them wrap them with some good String....Artificial Sinew is no more then Glorified Dental Floss with Honey Colored Wax in my Book...got no Strength...use Silk or even Spider Wire...they will stay on then....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline tgr

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 11:55:51 am »
Thanks.  I appreciate the advice.
Tom

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 12:00:52 pm »
 I use TB3 and backstrap sinew soaked in glue and water.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 02:22:08 pm »
Same as Eddie,the TB3 is waterproof,and protects the sinew very well. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 02:58:39 pm »
But you don't use anything to Bed the Tips in the Shafts?? Well then You must make them fit a lot tighter than I do....Because I need something to anchor them in Straight
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 06:20:45 pm »
I use either a pine pitch mixture or two-part epoxy to mount the trade points in the shaft, then wrap with sinew and TB.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 09:10:39 pm »
 Mike, my trade points bed tight. I cut the slot with my bandsaw, and then fine tune it with a 1"belt sander. I fine tune my stone points to fit the groove with a diamond grinder.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:32:54 pm »
Well.............Mr. Meticulous........... ;D >:D I just cut a Groove....and bed it with 2 part..or Pine Pitch....give it enough room so's I can make sure that the Points are nice and Straight

Man....this is a Pain in the Arse....My 21 inch Monitor went out Last Night....and now I am on an old 1995 Compac Monitor....12 inch at that!!! I guess I should feel Lucky....could be a Black and White Job!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 03:28:45 pm »
I use pitch glue to attach trade points and stone points. That stuff sticks to anything and evcerything. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 11:26:31 am »
I cut 3 slots in my blades on both  sides right down to the shaft. There's no hafting. I use pine pitch on the blade. Heat gently. Put blade in slot. Arrange the blade so it spins true. I then wrap with wet sinew around the blades through the slots I cut. I then wrap about an inch below into the  shaft. I coat the whole shebang with hide glue. Let it dry. Then I coat all sinew with pine pitch.  When I'm sealing the arrow with grease I also coat the sinew once again. LOL. This years arrow is made from a wild rose shaft. Make me think twice about taking bad shots. I've also used epoxy and nylon thread to attach the points but I like to stay as natural as possible these days.  My site has info. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!