Author Topic: spine ?  (Read 1625 times)

Offline knap_123

spine ?
« on: September 24, 2009, 03:09:28 pm »
i just went and cut a bunch of switch cane to make some arrows with.  i'm really wanting to make better arrows  but i dont have a spine tester or nothing. i usually make primitive ones but i'm upgradeing.  the arrows i want to make will be used for a 76# bow  and huinting season. is it nessary to spine them or not.  i dont want to put alot of work into makeing arrows if its a must to have one.  is'nt spined used mostly for targets.   does anyone here shoot unspined and hows it work for you.  oh, and i am going to get one, just cant afford it now.

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: spine ?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:09:33 pm »
If you " just cut them" and they are green... I don't know if you will be able to get them dry by opening day. Oct. 15th.

Spin is not as important with tapered shafts as it is with pallallell shafts.  However, It is still somewhat important.  Spin can be tested with your hands.   Just flex the shaft in your hands several times until you get the feel for it then flex a shaft of known spine and compare the two.

You can make a simple spine tester with a two pound (I think) weight and two 2 x 4 boards.  You can eye ball them in quite well this way.

If you are hoping to hunt this year with these arrows.. I just happen to know where a bundle of dry river cane is. ;)

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: spine ?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 06:26:20 pm »
Cut them long, put the stiffest side(one of the node sides) against the bow and give them a try. If necessary, cut off an inch and try again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC