Author Topic: Pyramid bow  (Read 8328 times)

Offline TBod

Pyramid bow
« on: September 18, 2009, 03:50:24 pm »
Here's my second attempt at a pyramid or close to pyramid bow. The first broke.. It's 63" ntn 40# 28". It's from Maple (Swedish). Stringfollow is low maybe 1,5" and overnight 0,5". This particular piece is not very dense I guess it's about 45 SG, or under average at lest.

The really cool thing is that unbraced it has a serious twist and when drawn it sort of untwist. I usually get the opposite.. I tried to follow the grain when roughing out,and hence the twist when unbraced.

Pic 2 The back is covered with drying cracks. I put a layer of TB3 mixed with water on the back. The cracks closed and push out a drop a glue. Looks funny!

Pic 3 It's not really a selfbow, more of a laminate bow by accident :D. One big piece and a tiny piece of wood glued on the belly since I as always are a bit rough roughing out..

It feels really powerful shooting. But I am an extreme beginner at shooting..

Pic 1 How about that tiller, is it correct for a pyramid bow?

Thanks for looking!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:01:49 pm by TBod »

Offline Kent D.

Re: Pyramid bow
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:40:17 pm »
I like it.  Looks great.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 05:02:31 pm »
Good looking bow man!  I think I would actually flip the bow over and use the bottom as the top and the top as the bottom because the bottom limb looks to be bending more.  Just a personal preference though...  Tiller looks great!   Good Work!   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline TBod

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 05:13:21 pm »
Yeah! I agree on the bottom limb. Thats the one with natural reflex, so it should be better for upper limb.

On the other hand it's close to centreshoot now and I like it. So to switch sides I'd have to fix the string alignment pretty serious..

I also try to shoot switching hands holding the bow.  When I hold the bow with my right hand the bottom is up. Haven't really decide which hand works best either.

Thanks!

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 05:20:41 pm »
you need to find your dominant eye for that...

pick an object like 10 yards away and point at it with both eyes open. 
close one eye at a time and whichever eye makes your finger on the object is your dominant eye.
you wanna hold your bow in the opposite hand and use your dominant hand to draw the arrow to your nocking point (mine is beneath my cheekbone)
  -hope this helps.     :)  josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 06:04:45 pm »
Tiller looks good to me...dunno quite how a pyramid tiller should look...
I like an arc of a circle, it looks like if the tips bent a tad more you'd almost have a semi circle,(ignoring the handle of course) which is how I'd guess a pyrimid should go with every bit of the limb working?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 06:32:40 pm »
Looks good to these untrained eyes.  I've wanted to play with some pyramid designs but I'm still lost as to how the tiller should look and whether or not they should bend in the hande ???

Nice bow.

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 03:41:56 am »
Looks good to these untrained eyes.  I've wanted to play with some pyramid designs but I'm still lost as to how the tiller should look and whether or not they should bend in the hande ???

Nice bow.

Nate Danforth
I don't think one can reasonably expect a pyramid bow to bend in the handle as it is so much narrower than the base of the limb, the change in cross section would make for a huge concentration of stress.
Just my catly guess.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 03:56:13 am »
Thanks Del, I've thought I've read some stuff about them bending enough to feel it in the handle and then other places saying no bend.  Thanks for the clarification and sorry bout the hijack.

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline TBod

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 04:26:41 am »
If the tips were bending more, there be a problem with string angle and stack maybe?

Maybe not on my bow but it's longer than the usual for a pyramid bow.

I'll try that dominate eye thing. But I am gonna continue shooting with both hands. I got my TBB4 yesterday and it was a chapter on shooting there, good stuff I missed that about about the other ones.

Thanks!

radius

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 02:34:43 pm »
this one is tillered pretty good, man...

i like the dots all over the back, can you put up a clearer pic of that, please?

keep at it

Offline Josh

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 03:19:32 pm »
if you can learn to shoot with both hands consistently I think that would be awesome!!! I am left handed and when I first started shooting I tried to shoot both ways and since that time I have progressed to shooting all left handed  (with the bow in my right hand)   I really wish I would stay consistent with shooting right handed cause I can't shoot a right handed bow anymore!!!   So if you can learn both and be good both ways I say go for it!!!!!    :)  -josh

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 03:59:47 pm »
TBod....looks nice...I like the looks of the Natural Back of some Maples with the little Dimples in it....gives the Bow some Character! Also I am with Josh....flip the Bow....the Top Limb is Stiffer....good Job

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline TBod

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 04:22:48 pm »
Ok here some more pics. Can't get it clearer than that..

The bow flipped. Maybe stiffer maybe not..

Thanks!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 05:08:04 pm »
Looks Better to Me.....nice job
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome