Author Topic: purpleheart?  (Read 4429 times)

Offline yazoo

purpleheart?
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:14:07 pm »
I got a 10ft board, from a friend,anybody every used it for backed bows?having trouble typing today, does any one know of a type writer that is adjuested for sourthern twang ;D
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline JustAim

Re: purpleheart?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:01:56 pm »
I got a 10ft board, from a friend,anybody every used it for backed bows?having trouble typing today, does any one know of a type writer that is adjuested for sourthern twang ;D

l understand that theres software out there which allows you to talk into a microphone and the computer types the words for you. But then again, it might make it harder for us to understand your posts. ;D  Just messing with you ;)

Offline yazoo

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:11:53 pm »
theres no way a computer can understand the way we talk here in the mountians ;D

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:43:05 pm »
i would not attempt it for backings.  PH is way to brittle.  i have seen it under bamboo a few times with dubious success.  probably best for tip overlays, handles etc.

Offline yazoo

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:48:06 pm »
I have also seen it for footing arrows.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 11:56:14 pm »
I have done a couple boo backed purpleheart and like it. Badger did say it frets easily and although I have never had a problem, his word is good enough for me so use caution.  My favorite way to use it is as a lamination with osage and boo. The colors really compliment each other. This one has the purpleheart lamination on the belly.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:09:30 am by Justin Snyder »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:57:06 pm »
I've used it as a 3/16" mid-lam in a tri-lam ELB. I've also used it as handle accents and tip overlays. Not good belly wood, either. Frets real bad.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 01:12:51 am »
im drooling over  that bow here.
lets just shoot it

Badbill

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 01:15:43 am »
It is beautiful against osage, but it has a tendency to splinter. From guys that use it a lot its a bear to get out of your finger too.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 01:21:24 am »
Used purpleheart with maple backing once; didn't fret but I guess I was lucky.
Looks fantastic, though.  ;D ;D ;D

Ps: wouldn't try it as a backing!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 05:06:16 pm »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he was referring to backing it, not using it as a backing.

It is beautiful against osage, but it has a tendency to splinter. From guys that use it a lot its a bear to get out of your finger too.
The supposed purpleheart footings that you buy are nothing like the purpleheart boards that I have used. The boards I buy are much denser and splinter less than the footings I bought. I haven't had a hard time getting it out of my finger, but it does sting like a bugger, much worse than most woods. The oils in it must have some allergenic properties much like Ipe.

That looks great Frank.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 01:57:24 am »
I am just about done with my first bow made from a 10ft purpleheart board. The board was wide enough to cut vertically for three attempts and after breaking the first two (no backing) I decided to back the third with bamboo. As of now the bow is 72" and 64# @ 28", I just glued down a piece of bubinga for a pistol grip type riser and should be done in the next couple of days. Took a couple of trial shots once I had the tiller and it's a shooter. I'll post some pics once done.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 07:02:48 pm »
Its is a beautiful wood.  Ive never used it for a bow, but have seen several, and all were great looking bows.  I have built many other things with it, and it is a hard wood. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 11:32:27 pm »
  Like Franks beautifull bow, i had a bamboo backed purple heart that Brian Melton sent me. My ex, future son in-law still shoots it. The limbs were wide coming out of the fades and slowly tapered to the tips. I think this helped it to stay together over 4 years.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 02:31:35 am »
Eddie, I was thinking of maybe trying a very wide pyramid bow, purple heart maple backed, sort of long for a 50#@29"; was your's something like that??
The wood is good, but I believe the curls are the problem; it almost always comes curly. Fretting always seem to start at the curls, at least that's my experience - also with other woods!
If you get a rare piece of PH that is not curly it might make a heck of a bow!

BTW. the FF or not FF discussion comes up sometimes: I did not like the above pictured bow very much because of it's performance until I made a FF string for it and it REALLY improved!
Frank from Germany...